By CallMeJesusFreak - 23/06/2011 23:58 - United States

Today, I couldn't prove my son has had chickenpox, so his school gave us the option of getting a potentially dangerous shot he didn't need, pay for an expensive blood test to show that he previously had the virus, or sign a waiver stating I'm a religious nut refusing medical treatment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 001
You deserved it 7 929

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

When people like you refuse to vaccinate your kids, it lowers the country's herd immunity and endangers everyone else. The measles outbreak in 1989 was started when an intentionally unvaccinated boy caught the disease in Switzerland, and it spread all across the country. 11,000 people were hospitalized and 123 died. Your decision not to vaccinate could potentially kill hundreds of people. Are you really okay with that?

The kid DOES NOT NEED THE SHOT!!!! He has had chickenpox and is therefore IMMUNE!!!!!

OP said that her son already had chicken pox, so he's immune to it. He can't spread it because you can't spread what you don't have.

Guess what year it is, 2011! Guess what country OP lives in, The USA! Guess what the disease is, chicken pox! Guess what, OP's son has already had chicken pox, so he's immune to it!

The OP said that the shot was "dangerous." It's not. There are people who believe, despite ALL scientific evidence to the contrary, that vaccines cause autism, allergies, and ADHD. It seems that the OP is one of these people, so it stands to reason that they're refusing to vaccinate their child at all. And if you think the decision to vaccinate only affects you, read about Brie Romaguera. She died of pertussis when she was only seven weeks and three days old (too young to receive the pertussis vaccine) because a child whose parents had decided not to vaccinate him had caught it and started an epidemic. Yes, this is America, but just because you technically have the right to do something doesn't mean you should. Is risking the lives of babies and elderly people really what you want to make America stand for?

1prettymilf_fml_fml 5

Ummm shot record. Everybody whos ever gotten a shot has one. At thier doctors office

Gee, maybe you should consider keeping track of your child's immunizations. Ya think?! pay for a titer, give him the non-dangerous shot (check the CDC website on that one) or shut your pie hole. You deserve it for not keeping track of his records. Signed, Someone Who Has To Deal With Patients Like You Every Damn Day

Yes, keeping track of shots he never even had.. Well done..

your an idiot the vaccine isn't dangerous people like you who don't vaccinate are dangerous, check your facts

that's what they do to keep the other kids safe. just sign the waiver. don't put your kid through the other crap. did he not see the doctor when he had chicken pox? and you do realize that you can get it more than once right? it happend to me.

if you had gotten the varicella vaccine in the 1st place, not only would your child not have had chicken pox (a possible life threatening illness) but the school would also get off your back.

KataraTheBender 0

I still don't get why they make you get chickenpox shots. No child has ever died of it.

not the point. If you don't care about ur kid suffering from chicken pox that's your problem, but the vaccine prevents other kids who dont want to suffer through it from having it

@#258: Children do die of the chicken pox, but the biggest concern is years of life lost to disability from the virus. Shingles is an awful disease that can be prevented for the most part by administering the chicken pox vaccine, and it isn't the only avoidable complication. A death rate from a disease doesn't give a picture of the (usually more frequent) non-fatal complications.

It was the vaccine that caused me to have Shingles.

tell them to go f*** themselves with a 50ft pole

shouldn't be expensive, I got an hbv blood test so I could work in lab, was like 13$