By aeris - 11/11/2018 09:30 - United States

Today, I brought my boyfriend over to meet my parents. They prepared dinner for us - mushroom pasta. I have always hated mushrooms, so I spent the entire dinner trying not to gag. Unfortunately, I did gag and my mom got up and smacked me so hard I fell out of my chair. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 669
You deserved it 438

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your mother is a wonderful parent. Who hits their kid over something like that? Also, mushrooms are horrible, so you were justified in your retching.

At least it wasn’t HIS parents and you didn’t have to impress them? But yeah, that sucks.

Comments

So is mushrooms the only thing you gag on?

Mom would've gotten slapped right back for something like that. Then we'd leave and go have dinner somewhere else.

tounces7 27

Your mother is a ******* psycho and the world would be better off without people like her.

SORRY OP, one soothe have thought that you're mom would have consulted you on the meal choice knowing you don't like mushrooms. Maybe that is her way of saying she doesn't like your choice of partner. Parents are weird.

If it was me at that point, I'd just get up, leave the house with the boyfriend, and cut all contact with the parents. No one deserves to be hit over not liking certain food. Who knows what will happen if you say something she doesn't like! Your mother sounds like a dangerous, abusive person.

geniusness 6

Seems like your mother planned the dinner in a way that was likely to give her the chance to treat you badly and embarrass you in front of your boyfriend. I don’t know how dependent you are on your mother, but if you are out of home and financially independent of her, I’d seriously advise you to consider cutting such a toxic person out of your life. That was straight up abusive and one day she could be treating your kids that way.

Emma Marshall 19

I would not talk to my mum for so long if she embarrassed me like that. How does she not know you hat mushrooms though?

She knew, and served them intentionally as a control move.

Reading between the lines, I’m pretty sure that OP’s mother probably does not respect OP’s orientation or boyfriend. OP’s mother has to have known exactly how OP feels about mushrooms and how he would react to that dish. It was clearly a nasty attempt at sabotaging her son’s relationship - And her reaction shows that when she slapped him. OP - I am sorry not all parents are loving and accepting. Your mom sounds like a real piece of work.

Ah, I hadn't caught that. You're probably right. She's not just a horrible mother, she's a horrible homophobic mother trying to sabotage her son.

They're your parents... tell them hey I don't like mushrooms. You know this. Also file a police report for abuse. Come on. You can stand up to your own folks hun