By Anonymous - 24/01/2010 19:29 - United States

Today, I broke my dominant hand. My teacher insists we hand-write our essays. I called and asked if it was okay for me to type up the essays. She said no. I have two essays due tomorrow, which count for half my grade. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 366
You deserved it 3 596

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You guys are dumb as ****. If he called his teacher, do you really think he would leave out the "I broke my hand, which is why I'm asking"?

zombzomb 0

should've done the work earlier

Comments

all you jackasses slamming him for procrastinating, you know you all did the same damn thing when you were in school.

She probably just doesn't believe you. Type them up and hand them in. If she complains get a doctors note, parents note or talk to the principal. Or alternatively get some one else to write them as you speak, like a parent. And provide a note from a Doctor or parent to explain the situation.

You should type them up and hand them in. Point out to her your injured hand and state that after the cast comes off you will hand write them if she likes.

MisterTwo 0

I went to a middle-school where EVERYTHING had to be handwritten, no exceptions.

italian_babe 0

well then get off fml and start writing.. duh

You see, here's the issue with this: So the OP can't handwrite as she broke her dominant hand, and she has two essays due the next day. Okay, I understand that, and maybe the teacher should be more compassionate, considering the circumstances. HOWEVER. The OP should NOT have left the writing of the essay to the last possible minute. In this regard, it is the OPs own fault. I know when I was in highschool, we were told straight out that sick notes/excuses the day before something is due would not be granted, simply because the paper should have been finished before that. Now, if the OP had broken it say, a week or two before the paper was due, that is a completely different story, and the teacher is required to accommodate. However, in this instance, I say the OP should have planned for something to happen and gotten it done earlier. Hope the lesson was learned, OP.

boatkicker 4

The essays may not have been assigned earlier. I know that in high school it wasn't uncommon at all for my teachers to drop essays on us suddenly. Not long ones, but maybe 1000 words or so each. But with a broken hand, even a couple words will hurt.

Essays worth as much as the OP said they were? Two essays worth half the grade... Sounds like term papers which would have been assigned well in advance. The OP should not have left something worth that much to the last minute, and should have planned for something to happen. As much as it sucks, it could easily have been avoided.

Essays worth as much as the OP said they were? Two essays worth half the grade... Sounds like term papers which would have been assigned well in advance. The OP should not have left something worth that much to the last minute, and should have planned for something to happen. As much as it sucks, it could easily have been avoided.

boatkicker 4

Oh oops. Didn't see that part. Probably not. It's not unheard of, but certainly not common.

Maddoctor 10

I agree procrastinating is not the best idea when it comes to term papers, but I know a lot of my peers who did something similar with theirs, albeit they wrote many drafts of their paper and waited until a day or two before turn-in to write the final copy. I can see this being a very possible reason why the OP waited until the night before. I don't really find anything wrong with this method as long as you've been writing something the entire time you've known the assignment is due. If you start it all the night before, well then you know you're screwed.

Go to the dean or principal, this is not acceptable due to your injury.

And then what did you say when she said no, they have to be handwritten? "Hurr durr, okay"? The teacher can't demand that you do something unreasonable. Jesus Christ people learn to stand up for yourselves.

I think that you can top the whole writing with the other hand thing. Go to the store and buy some of that really large 1st grade writing paper, the stuff with the really large lines. Then write (or transcribe) your paper on that with your off-hand. Yeah, the paper will be many more pages, and look like a 1st grader wrote it, but that is your teacher's problem, not yours.