By khaelian - 08/12/2010 11:47

Spicy
Today, at work, a customer left their cell phone behind. I tried to see if there were any pictures so that I could identify them. No, I still don't know what they look like, but I have seen their penis. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 255
You deserved it 17 901

Same thing different taste

Top comments

you couldn't just look through their contacts instead..?

Why do some guys always take pictures of their penis?

Comments

ckjacques53198 0

your a little two uptite about grammer and spelling :)

dynky 3

you'd do better calling one of the more frequently used numbers in the phone and asking how to get it back to the owner.

Firstly, you deserve it for going through his photos rather than just checking the contacts. Secondly, get over it. It's a penis, for god's sake. 50% of the population has them. If the genders were reversed (assuming OP is female), do you think this would have ended up on FML? More likely it would have become a funny story told to friends.

horsegirl4everan 0

OP needs a class in grammar. "Their" inplies a plural noun. Example: The boys ate their lunches. (The boy ate HIS lunch). Also, YDI for not calling a contact or turning it into lost and found.

RedPillSucks 31

I think you can use 'their' when gender is unknown. eg. "Someone lost their glasses" does not imply plurality

EvilDave 13

Exactly how many genders have penises? Yeah, one. That means the gender was not unknown. And, "their" is plural. Exactly how many people owned that cell phone?

hoolie06 0

84 - It should be "Someone lost his glasses." However, due to an upsurge in political correctness, "Someone lost his or her glasses" would probably be more proper, although a bit more awkward. "Their" is not correct and never, correctly, implies gender neutrality. Pronoun-antecedent agreement is the grammar rule which is being broken in the FML and in your example. If the antecedent is singular, so must the pronoun be singular; only if the antecedent is plural can the pronoun be plural as well.

Thank you for a lot of unnecessary jargon, 107; I hope it fulfilled its purpose of making you feel superior. Many authorities disapprove of the singular "they" while others remain neutral about it. I personally support it as the least awkward/most prevalent word used as a gender-neutral pronoun. ("Zhe" anyone? No?) I don't often post here, but your impractical, overly-rigid view deserves some tempering. If you think that language never changes or has to change, and you want to be dominated by male-hierarchical language structures for the rest of your life - well, those are your kinks, I suppose. Enjoy. I do agree that "he" should have been used in the FML itself, since the OP believes the photo is of the phone's owner.

108: You're clearly far too invested in this and being unnecessarily mean to 107. And to top it off, 107 is entirely correct. Just because people use "they" as a singular pronoun does not mean it's correct. Maybe you should think a little more before you post.

Far too invested? Should think more? What do you want from me?

RedPillSucks 31

@107 Actually, this doesn't have anything to do with political correctness, as the usage has been around since the last century or so. As I've said before, the term is archaic, and apparently controversial. I don't really care which you use.

khamu_fml 0

108, no one cares if you "personally support their." it's grammatically incorrect. use "one's" or "its" if you want to be gender neutral.

retard! you just call their most called person or most recently called person!

stop assuming op, it could be their underage boyfriend :/

RedPillSucks 31

Actually, there is a singular use of 'their', but it's not common, and is probably considered archaic.

YDI for looking, always look for the contact named 'home' and call that