By retainer - 22/07/2009 22:36 - United States

Today, at the dentist, the new, rather airy assistant went to prep me for an extraction. She began pulling on something in my mouth, and a moment later, I felt intense pain and then the wetness of blood. She was trying to pull out "that weird wire thing". In other words, my permanent retainer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 69 317
You deserved it 2 818

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Omg, ouch. Seriously though, you'd think a dentist would know about that.

Comments

Yet ANOTHER reason I dread the dentist.

Owwww. Please tell me she got her ass fired on the ******* spot. If you're not a dentist you have no business yanking on things in other peoples mouths.

I once had an orthodontist attempt to saw through two wires of my retainer and ended up with a huge bloody cut on the roof of my mouth, which got badly infected to the point where my whole retainer had to be removed :/ The best part was when I got a lecture for crying in the waiting room and being overdramatic, before anyone believed that the cut was there. Orthodontics never do seem to cause anything but grief, do they?

unibrowicorn 0

...I'm going to the orthodontist today. thanks.

it is true though. although mine was a greedy lil son-of-a too

nicolexsmile 0

): agreed, i hate orthodontists more than dentists. my orthodontist yesterday yelled at me, telling me my mouth was a 'disaster' because "i wasn't wearing my rubber bands", even though me and my mom told them i was the asshole blamed me for HIM ******* up my mouth >:(

how stupid can you be? makes you warm and fuzzy once we have universal healthcare and everyone can be treated by these morons

happyvalleygirl 0

Once you have universal health care, you'll be waiting for four months for an MRI if you **** up your knee, like in Canada. Oh yeah, and you'll have the same kind of teeth the British do. IDIOT. And Obama said the other day that doctors take out kids' tonsils instead of treating them for allergies, just so they can make more money. Look it up. In reality, you need to have something like six cases of strep throat in a year before anyone will take out your tonsils. Why doesn't anyone do research anymore? You just listen to what the government says—republicans and democrats—and take it as the truth. All politicians are using your ignorance against you to get what they want. Grow up. For your own good. And mine.

happyvalleygirl 0

Oh hey 26, I'm sorry. I misread your comment.

#101 HappyValleyGirl, just so you know, universal health care in Canada does NOT include dentistry. If you have a dental plan, you're one up over many other people. Dentistry is far cheaper here than in the US, even without a plan. But I'm with you on the MRI.

Apparently Canada is doing something wrong, because universal healthcare works just fine in Germany.

damnit! I'm seeing the dentist tomorrow, to add to the bad dentist Stories, My dentist gave me four needle fulls of that numbing stuff then I hear : "uh oh! er... Let me get the boss, You'll be fine!"

"Uh oh" The two words you NEVER wanna hear during a dental visit.

Or when you're babysitting apparently.. :P

What? Did she not, I don't know, even GLANCE over your dental history? And what on earth made her think to just yank out a metal wire thing that was in your mouth? It's not like you keep that kind of thing there because you like how it feels; it was obviously there for a REASON. Sue, OP, sue like never before.

what kind of dental trained person cannot identify a permanent retainer? I have one too and it's pretty obvious what it is.

It's so annoying when the assistants don't bother to take 2 seconds to look at a dental record. When I got my wisdom teeth out I needed to return a week later to have the stitches checked. I sat down and the assistant had no idea why I was there. I know it was minor and didn't affect anything but it was still stupid that I had to be the one to tell her why I was there.

Pastor_Rich 0

how could she be that stupid?

AGiles 0

Actully she should have asked 'why are you pulling on my retainer'.

theshinepolice 0

wouldnt that be hard with someone's hand in your mouth?