By retainer - 22/07/2009 22:36 - United States

Today, at the dentist, the new, rather airy assistant went to prep me for an extraction. She began pulling on something in my mouth, and a moment later, I felt intense pain and then the wetness of blood. She was trying to pull out "that weird wire thing". In other words, my permanent retainer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 69 317
You deserved it 2 818

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Omg, ouch. Seriously though, you'd think a dentist would know about that.

Comments

what a ditz. I hope she felt bad, you should talk to ur dentist about her.

AGiles 0

I almost don't believe the story because these retainers are attached to the teeth with a composite resin that is light cured. It would take quite a bit of force with some kind of forcep to pull it out. At some point the OP would have at least asked what the Assistant was doing. Right. Guess not. I mean if some one was pulling hard on your jaw wouldn't you at lewast ask that person to sop? I mean it's not like it just pops off, they're very secure.

naomi9241 0

I took it to mean that she didn't SUCCEED in pulling out the retainer, and instead basically stabbed the poor person in the mouth with the forceps or whatever she was using... Plus, a dental assistant as dumb as this one probably wouldn't have taken more than a few seconds before she messed up and cut the person, so it wouldn't be out of the question, I don't think. I don't know about you but I find it kind of difficult to talk when someone's hand and/or sharp shiny tool is in my mouth. OP, I feel so sorry for you, and hope you at very least complained!

They're not always as secure as you think. I had one, and after the end of the glue stuff got chipped, I ripped the whole wire out at home. Wasn't too hard, didn't affect my teeth at all either.

Agreeing with #45. I had one for years. About a year after having it put in, I bit down on a hard bit of pretzel and half of it just broke off.

Yes, FYL. That's ridiculous. As an aside, is the OP in the US? "Airy", though technically ok, isn't usually used to describe people. I'm not playing Grammar Nazi to be a jerk; I'm wondering if this is a European thing. I can't see profiles on my iPhone. The word just feels awkward.

lyndis_fml 0

Just because you don't know what a word means doesn't mean other Americans are equally ignorant. Trust me, despite the fact that you seem to be unfamiliar with the word, it's common.

Airy can be used to describe people... as in putting on airs - snobbish or possibly stupid in this case.

Actually, I think the OP meant she was "airy" as in "airheaded."

AAAAHHHH12 2

Yeah, I think when the OP said airy, she meant stupid.

fyourlife33 0

thats actually a word we use quite frequently to describe people in the US

twilight_addict 0

The second I finished reading this my mouth just dropped open. I am so sorry. =(

thats what you get for living in texas. YDI

Please get over yourself....not all of us Texans are stupid and nor are we all the stereotypes people claim we are.

TheIrishJaneDoe: What I thought right away was 'airy' like 'airhead'

Owwww. Its scary when total retards can become even dental assistants.