By thatwasembarrassing - 04/09/2018 15:00

Today, at a dinner I'd been planning for months with my fiancé to talk to our families about the wedding for the first time, he told me he didn't want to get married. I cried in front of both of our families and a dozen of strangers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 296
You deserved it 429

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tounces7 27

Although it may have been embarrassing for you, I assure you it was him they were judging the shit out of.

It's so cruel of him to embarrass you like that. If he didn't want to get married, he should have told you that in private. If it's any consolation, at least he's shown his family and friends how much of an asshole he is.

Comments

It's so cruel of him to embarrass you like that. If he didn't want to get married, he should have told you that in private. If it's any consolation, at least he's shown his family and friends how much of an asshole he is.

WeirdUS 29

Cruel but not sure it would have been better to go through the dinner not saying anything. If he told him in private it still would have ruined the diner anyway. Not sure there would have been a better time

julfunky 29

There are a million better times than to do it in front of everyone.

Do you think this was a spontaneous epiphany at the dinner table or what? Maybe just cancel the dinner and take the time to do it in private. Being an a**hole is a choice.

tounces7 27

Although it may have been embarrassing for you, I assure you it was him they were judging the shit out of.

Jorn van der Ar 13

Maybe he doesn't know he's your fiancé. Did you talk to him about it?

Wow what a asshole for not saying anything before the dinner and canceling

Who says he even knew this would be happening? OP says she's been planning it, not they were planning it together, which makes it seem like he didn't know.

The FML says "I'd been planning with my fiance" which makes it seem as if not only did he know but that one had already proposed to the other (otherwise it would be boyfriend not fiance), and therefore he definitely could've brought it up at any time prior to the dinner.

Fair point. I read that as a dinner she was planning that would have her fiance there with her but it's likely I was wrong there.

AzrielB 8

When you proposed to him, was his answer "...uh... sure..."

PenguinPal3017 19

Someone needs to teach him how to work on his timing.

Sorry to hear he doesn't want to marry but why did you set up this huge dinner without making sure you both want to have this "coming out" (for lack of better term) moment?

randybryant799 20

You seem more upset about crying in front of people than you do about your fiance dumping you.