By desperate - 05/10/2012 09:47 - Malta - Paola

Today, as an introduction to the history of China, I asked my APA World History class to write a 500 word essay on a historical Chinese person. Out of a class of 18, five of them were about Mulan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 032
You deserved it 5 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I bet a lot of them were about Jackie Chan as well

See, I would have been more creative... Mine would have been about Mushu.

Comments

70 - In case you missed it, Noor stated she purposely made herself sound ignorant. I'm assuming she really isn't, rather said it in a jokingly manner.

Awkward moment when you just named an Italian city, instead of the character "Mulan"

Um. If you weren't specific on who they couldn't write on, the YDI. Mulan may have been made into a movie but all their movies like that have some historical truth, just like pocahontas.

couturedoll 7

Oh, but Pocahontas was a ten year old girl who viewed John Smith as a fathery figure, not as a love interest. Disney bases their movies on stories, but alter all of the then dramatically so that it fits the classical "Happily ever after". The real Pocahontas was stuck in a loveless marriage and was miserable for practically her whole adult life.

Yep, little mermaid has some historical truth to it for sure.

Hua Mulan was a real person and the disney film is loosely based on her. You're a teacher...you should know this, especially if you ask your students to write about a historic Chinese person.

Well, technically, mulan is an ancient chinese poem about a woman who becomes a warrior. The Disney movie just feeds off the original poem

ConcaveUp 1

Here is an idea. Maybe next time screen the topics your students will write about before they turn it in.

Epikouros 31

Maybe you could teach the subject first, and then have the students write an essay? If the students are supposed to learn from each others' essays, have them ask permission for choosing a subject, so that one writes about Mao, one about Confucius, and the rest have to be more creative.

It should be a FML indeed if your students wrote about Lei Feng…

Haha, I wouldn't even call 500 words an essay...it's just a few paragraphs.

Yup, try writing a twenty page paper. High-school kids don't know how easy they have it.

95, please don't generalize. I had to write10-20 page papers pretty regularly throughout high school.

That or try condensing a summary of MLK's Letters from Birmingham jail into a 7 sentence summary. Sorry 10 and 20 page essays are easy to fill up with tons of minutiae, the real shit is seeing if you can be extremely concise in your writing.

Except it wasn't funny, even as a joke. You know how there are just some things you don't say? Yeah, that's one of them. Hence all the thumb downs.