By desperate - 05/10/2012 09:47 - Malta - Paola

Today, as an introduction to the history of China, I asked my APA World History class to write a 500 word essay on a historical Chinese person. Out of a class of 18, five of them were about Mulan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 032
You deserved it 5 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I bet a lot of them were about Jackie Chan as well

See, I would have been more creative... Mine would have been about Mushu.

Comments

I don't see what's wrong with writing about Mulan. She is a real historical figure, just not as important as some others but still. But, if they wrote about it like the Disney movie, then there is something wrong.

Were any actually based on the poem? Because that's as historically valid as writing about, say, Paris or Achilles in the Trojan War. Which plenty of people do.

Schizomaniac 24

I expect this to be continued: LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS...

ThisIsHard 5

YOU'RE THE SADDEST BUNCH I'VE EVER MET

BUT YOU CAN BET BEFORE WE'RE THROUGH...

mariet_fml 23

BUT YOU CAN BET, BEFORE WE'RE THROUGH...

Crap... The app only showed me half the replies at first ._. unintentional c-c-c-combo breaker.

flockz 19

Aww maannn, loading comments are so slow D= so much combo breaking T^T

oh noes!!!!! what happened to the rest of the song anyways?? o.O

ONCE YOU FIND YOUR CENTER YOU ARE SURE TO WIN!

YOU'RE UNSUITED FOR THE RAGE OF WAR.....

MISTER, I'LL MAKE A MAAAN OUT OF YOOOUUU!

Funny how some of you actually think Mulan is just a Disney character. She as a matter of fact, is a real person, while the Disney movie is a remake of her story with some fairytale stuff.

perdix 29

I'd have chosen the Chinese Brother who could hold the whole sea in his mouth. He looked so adorable with his cheeks all puffed up! People these days just don't have that kind of talent!

nancyschmancy 9
the_anti_hipster 7

38--there are, but you just have to look in youporn or redtube for it. Not, ah, that I would know from experience or anything....

What's wrong with Mulan? At least your students were able to come up with an actual historical figure from a country they aren't familiar with. It's technically your job to be teaching them about it... At least nobody wrote about Kung Fu Panda.

Don't be hatin on Kung Fu Panda! Warcraft was so impressed by it they put Kung Fu Pandas in their game!

Bzzzzzt! Wrong! Pandaren were in the old Warcraft III RTS.

I don't know these things I just saw the commercial and was like look Warcraft Kung fu panda!

Wait they're seriously called pandaren? Very ummm original? At least the cows were called Tauren iirc so it put a little flair on it. But panda... Hmmm what do we call a Kung fu panda? I know! a pandaren -_-

ElhonnaDS 10

Hua Mulan is considered a legendary figure, however, and not necessarily a historical one. There may have been one, or it may be just an old folk tale- there isn't enough documentation to prove it. It would be the equivalent of someone writing a paper about a historical American and choosing Paul Bunyan. While his legend is reflective of the time at which he was supposed to have lived, and most people are as familiar with him as they would have been with a real historical figure, he just doesn't have enough factual basis to qualify.

betseyville 6

Except a story about a giant who rides a blue bull is significantly less believable than the story of Mulan.

BubbleGrunge 18

As a teacher I feel your frustration OP, but as a student I understand your students thinking. Nothing like an easy essay topic to kick ass on!

Can't blame them, Mulan is pretty hardcore! I would probably write about her too.

You actually flat out embarrassed yourself.