By fine - 28/02/2015 05:22 - United States - Danvers

Today, after struggling for over a year with it, and now having it medically confirmed, I told my step-dad about my depression. He gave me a disgusted look and scoffed, "Toughen up, cunt." FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 408
You deserved it 4 689

Same thing different taste

Top comments

flashback.miss 28

What? He calls you the c word and blows off your illness? horrid. stay strong, OP.

Pancakes017 19

People can be so hateful. Surround yourself with positive people. You're strong enough to get through this :)

Comments

That was very inconsiderate of him. Depression is serious. Just focus on getting better and ignore his comments.

He clearly doesn't understand what depression really is, maybe show him some videos or articles about it

That's an awful word... Stupid parents some times need an ass kicking.

It takes a lot of courage to seek help, and to admit your diagnosis. With a stepfather like that, you could feel even worse. Just know that you are not alone,and I hope you find other family and friends who will support you.

What a lovely individual your step father is.

Sounds about right. Amazing how ignorant and insensitive people choose to be.

You know, my dad says "when I was young depression was called being lazy".... maybe your stepfather was raised the same way my dad was. Even without your stepdad's support, keep going to therapy, get medication if needed. Get better, for yourself OP. You can get through this.

Your dad is wrong. Depression isn't something you "toughen up" from, it takes time. Stay Strong OP!

What is wrong with him? I'd tell your mom if I were you. He has no right to say that to you.