By Potential Bridezilla - 10/08/2011 07:18 - United Arab Emirates

Today, a week after my fiancé and I got engaged, his mother is already complaining that she isn't involved enough in the wedding arrangements. We haven't even set a date yet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 304
You deserved it 2 591

Same thing different taste

Comments

sparxva 12

Nip that in the bud now with the magic words "it is not your wedding."

sparxva 12

Then again, if you are accepting the MIL's money for the wedding then you have to accept some inputs, but be clear that it is your wedding, not hers.

Vaginabutter 15

as long as she helps pay for it.

Ha! Same thing is happening to me ;). We don't want his mother involved (because her idea of a beautiful wedding completely differs from ours) so we gave her a time-consuming task; she's creating scrap books of us for each of the tables. It's something she enjoys, and it keeps her off our backs. If you know of some kind of hobby she enjoys that you can incorporate into the wedding for her, I suggest you try it.

misssscarter21 1

She's gonna be fun to deal with

I know how mother in laws can be... trust me. but maybe she just wants to be a part of it bc she realizes how important it is to both of you. or maybe she wants to be a part in it because it doesn't happen often. I know I have my wedding planned out, (my boyfriend and I own a house, have a child and are going on 9 years, and I'm 21) but if it small things that don't mater let her take some credit in it. alot of times it is almost as important to the family as it is to you. a wedding is a bug deal for everyone. maybe compromise a little. just know the dress is all for the bride!! lol. it's only one day... but it will mean forever to everyone. if you do everything your way in the wedding you will be the only one that makes the most out of it.

blink_kid 32

Sounds like she's going to be a great mother-in-law!

Ooh dear a mother-in-law controller. Assert NOW that it's YOU two who are going to do the wedding, not her. In a kind way for she means best. But if u wait shell take the go ahead and plan fabulous.

Haha... You should rethink your engagement due to the high probability his mother will involve herself in the marriage, too. Intrusive families destroy relationships. Run while you can.

Stop complaining! No one but my stepmom helped me, not my sister, my mom, or anyone else. Just the woman who wishes she was my biological mother. My husbands mom didn't come because she has been to enough weddings, she has been married 9 times... No sympathy for you!!!

Holy_Schnikes 23

No one is helping me plan No one! It's just me and my money going into it because my family thinks I should pay because it isn't going to last (they think he only wants to marry me for my money but I honestly have enough for my half of the apartment,food and my car insurance and that's it.) The only person who said would help ended up stealing from the job that laid me off so I have no one to help me.