By Anonymous - 25/09/2016 12:11 - United States - Richmond

Today, a girl introduced herself to me with the line, "Hi, I'm Anna. I have a boyfriend." FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 994
You deserved it 1 202

Same thing different taste

Top comments

gobiteme2 34

Hi my name is John and I don't care.

MisterKnowItAll 15

Comments

How to answer? "You do? I don't believe it!" "So do I. I bet mine's better than yours." "I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that bit of information." "Hi Anna, so you're the girl he lost the bet about." "What, you're straight?" "I gave up imaginary friends when I was 8"

So you replied, "Hi my name's ______ and I don't give a ****" right?

idk, maybe it's just me, but it sounds more like a **** her life to me, if she's had a bad enough history with men that she feels the need to introduce herself like this. it's possible that isn't the case, of course; but consider that might be a possibility? women and female bodied persons do have to deal with a lot of that shit, after all.

That's an fml for her, not for you. She has learned that the only way to not get harassed by men is to tell them that you have a boyfriend, because some men won't evwn back off if you say you're a lesbian.

The one problem with your comment is that you assume saying you have a boyfriend helps, either. I've had friends who told men they had husbands, and the guys hitting on them still wouldn't back off. I agree that it's possible she did it for that reason, but the "some guys won't back off" thing isn't changed by relationship status. If they won't take one excuse, they probably won't take others, either.

Eh, quite a few men do back off if you say you have a male partner. A lot more than if you state you aren't interested and still quite more than if you mention a female partner. It might not work all the time but it's a lot more likely

If the bf/husband line doesn't work, tell them you have a penis.

Sometimes that could be dangerous due to transphobia

mariri9206 32

Except it seems that she went up to OP, not the other way around. It seems that she just immediately said "I have a boyfriend" when OP didn't even go to converse with her. As a female, if someone is hitting on you and you don't want it, then I understand saying "I have a boyfriend" to get out of it or getting them to back off. However, if they're leaving you alone, it is completely unwarranted to mention. It's also completely unwarranted if it's the first thing you say and you don't even know what they want. Maybe they just want directions. Maybe we should find out if they actually need something before we DECIDE that they're hitting on us.

So she made it clear from the start that she's interested in talking to you but doesn't want you to think she's leading you on and you think that's pompous of her? What is your mentality? "either want to sleep with me or leave me alone" ? don't complain about how men are perceived then....

It is pompous to assume that every man she meets is automatically attracted to her. Contrary to popular belief, not all blokes want to **** everything with a pulse, and it is quite rude to assume we do.

Hi, I'm_____ please convey my deepest sympathy to your boyfriend.

nykkilynn16 7

If that's a FML, you need to take a look at your priorities.