The Dilbert Principle

By Anonymous - 14/06/2017 16:00

Today, my boss called me into his office. I've been working hard doing extra work so I can get promoted. He called me in to tell me I'm to reliable in my current position, so I won't be moving up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 340
You deserved it 327

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Silly boy! To get up to management, you need to slack off, produce crappy work and hang out in the break room gossiping. Working "extra hard?" Pshaw! That'll just get you doomed to be an eternal worker bee/cube monkey!

Perhaps converse with him (If you're congenial) that you feel as though its talent that could be used more appropriately in a different range of tasks as well? Don't sell yourself short! Maybe this is when you start job-shopping again!

Comments

That is a lazy boss bs, try harder to get up and find the right people to smooze.

I fell into this trap. I was so good at my role (and the extra work) that ads for the position I had still (5yrs later) ask for all the skills I had at the time because none of the remaining employees are prepared to do it. I was in a really strong position to negotiate a raise/promotion but due to the size of the business both were extremely unlikely to happen so I found a company elsewhere that could make use of what I was offering for what we both agreed was suitable remuneration :-)

if I were you I would start searching for another job