Stranded

By Anonymous - 09/04/2024 23:00 - United Kingdom

Today, my husband wants a divorce and will be moving out as soon as possible because he can’t stand my mother anymore. He's tired of pushing me to stand up to her, even once, so he's done and is leaving. I’m upset he’s leaving, but I’m equally as upset he’s leaving me alone with my mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 114
You deserved it 1 476

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wadlaen 23

I think the logical thing to do is to ask your mother to move out so your husband would move back in. She could stay at someone else's or at a hotel, but when her staying with you is tearing you and your husband apart, she's at the wrong place. It's not your responsibility to give her a place to stay; she's an adult responsible for herself.

This is exactly what she hoped for. If you want any chance of getting your husband back and becoming your own person, legally evict your mother and go no contact. For married couples, with the exception of abuse, your partner always comes first.

Comments

Wadlaen 23

I think the logical thing to do is to ask your mother to move out so your husband would move back in. She could stay at someone else's or at a hotel, but when her staying with you is tearing you and your husband apart, she's at the wrong place. It's not your responsibility to give her a place to stay; she's an adult responsible for herself.

You have to ask yourself, if the situation was reversed, would she put up with you?

This is exactly what she hoped for. If you want any chance of getting your husband back and becoming your own person, legally evict your mother and go no contact. For married couples, with the exception of abuse, your partner always comes first.

ok so, stand up to your mother. it's your house, your marriage, your rules. she respects you and your husband or she leaves. grow a spine

You brought this on yourself by not standing up to her. Now you get to keep her.

Since we don't know whose house it is, and what is the mental and physical status of the mother it's hard to judge. tbh, you don't sound like you care too much about him leaving. And he could have left just to make a point without filing for divorce. So most likely your marriage is already ruined. Now you need to decide how would your life look like in the next few years.

I thought about doing the same thing because of my mother-in-law, who lived with us the majority of our marriage. But, I took my vows seriously and endured over 22 years of abuse from her. Too bad my wife didn't have the guts to stand up to her, or the same conviction about wedding vows, because she left me.

You sure something else isn't going on?