Sex Ed is broken

By asnolt - 24/05/2011 22:29 - United States

Spicy
Today, I had to explain to my sobbing teenage daughter why you can't get pregnant from masturbating. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 692
You deserved it 9 362

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Inspired22 11

Well, parents need to play a role in sexual education as well. It's awkward. But don't expect your schools to cover all the bases. These are your children! And sexuality, health, all that good stuff--it's important! Unless you just want your kids to run around thinking everything their classmates and Cosmo say are true.

I think OP's daughter is pregnant, but is trying to use an excuse to reason out why she is. Why else would she be crying (mood swings from being prego)?

I interpreted it as she, for whatever reason, thought she might be pregnant (maybe she was a little sick or had put on weight or whatever) and was so because she masturbated and had been paranoid about it since. The mother had to explain to her, when the sobbing daughter came to "confess her sins", that she couldn't be pregnant for the reasons she thought she was.

Why else would she be crying? It's called shame. That can develop when sex isn't made an open subject.

TheDrifter 23

I was thinking she was ashamed of who the baby's father is and was hoping it could be a self inflicted pregnancy.

Hope she wasn't planing on giving birth to some cute lil bunnies... lol

YDI for not teaching your daughter these things. Bet you are one of those stupid people who believes the school should teach kids everything. Why bother having a child if you aren't going to take the time to inform them about their bodies? It's much better learning about these things from a parent.

boredbah 0

There are two ways this FML could go. 1) the daughter was trying to get pregnant or 2) she masturbates and thought she got pregnant from it.

Some clarification would always be helpful, right? And to put my two cents in, my school taught both abstinence and safety. "You shouldn't do this too early, but if you're going to do something dumb, be smart about it." And everyone turned out more or less just fine. I personally learned bit by bit as I grew up, and never needed a designated 'talk'. The proper exposure brought about the proper knowledge. That said, I'm...really not sure what went wrong here in the teenager's experience. ._.

Your lucky. Half the chicks I graduated with Got Pregnant Graduating year or right after graduation.

As others have said - parents should partake in their kids sex ed. I mean, some schools do a good job of teaching it, but you can never take it for granted that they will. Especially seeing as some schools seem to only teach about abstinence and leave it at that. Also, is it possible you misunderstood and it wasn't just herself that was involved? And was she crying because she thought she was pregnant or crying because she found out she couldn't be? Either way, you needed to have that talk with her, regardless of whether this happened.

OnlyAFeckWanker 0

i don't know what it is, but I really hate your face.

That's ok, I don't really care for your attitude towards people (or maybe things in general), so I think we're even.

Oh goodness... reminds me of the myth that you can't get pregnant if you have sex in a hot tub... Speaking of which, OP tell her that myth is a lie before you have a bigger problem at hand...

I loled. Either your child is half retarded or she's seriously stupid. OP Should have told her teen that she can get pregnant. That would have been a delightful show.

skittles009 0

more like f her life shes the one that thought she was pregnant because u didnt do ur job