Sex Ed is broken

By asnolt - 24/05/2011 22:29 - United States

Spicy
Today, I had to explain to my sobbing teenage daughter why you can't get pregnant from masturbating. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 692
You deserved it 9 362

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

This is the problem with pure abstinence only teaching. It teaches all sexual acts are wrong before marriage, without teaching the basic facts of life. [I don't want to get into a debate of whether it'swrong to teach, I am simply stating a possible problem, i'm not saying it is a definite problem or what not, just a possible one, so stfu.] YOU need to sit down and teach YOUR child what you want her to know. YDI if you don't do this.

Heh, I'll say it: Abstinence-only sex ed causes definite problems.

If she thought she could get pregnant, why'd she do it?

monnanon 13

Maybe she is one of those misguided little girls who thinks her sole purpose in life should be to have a baby to look after. There are loads of these morons out there who swear blind they would be a brilliant mum at 13. Even planning a baby at 16 is a bit quick. Just because the body can handle it doesn't mean the mind will.

Youngest mother to give birth to a live baby (and survive herself) was 5yrs 8 mths old. This to me is proof of your point monnanon. Her body could clearly, somehow, handle it but she very clearly shouldn't have had one! (before anyone asks, no one knows how it happened or who the father was)

Why do people have sex when they can get pregnant? because it feels good. That's why she did it.

83 the difference there is, we all know how to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. She doesn't even know how you get pregnant and therefore probably doesn't know about contraception either! Why would she do it if she thought she'd get pregnant? I wouldn't have unprotected sex if I didn't want a baby!

She might've heard you could get pregnant from masturbation after she'd already done it.

adamj0830 1

go buy her some finger condoms

Finger condoms? Funny, but chances are that they sell regular condoms small enough to fit on your finger.

jwk8_fml 1

I used to think that when I first started masturbating. but my mama never explained it to me and i figured it out.

Egnar 19

You know that awkward sex talk parents always want to give their kids but are usually too scared an/or nervous their kids will flip out? Sounds like your kids naive views of sexuality opened up the floodgate to her being comfortable enough to talk to you about it, take it as a blessing. She's obviously sexually active, though probably isn't having sex, so now is the time to do it and answer any and all questions without being stand-offish

joa76 3

"obviously sexually active, though probably isn't having sex"...? Care to explain what you think the definition of "sexually active" is?

Egnar 19

My point is that she's exploring her sexuality right now - Masturbation is a part of that. I'm almost certain she's not having sex, though, because she's worried about getting pregnant from masturbating. . .someone with that kind of anxiety isn't read to commit to actual sex yet.

joa76 3

That still doesn't count as sexually active, sorry. If you go to the doctor, and they ask if you're sexually active, they mean "Have you had sex?" I could see you calling it sexually active if she was out giving guys ******** or whatever, but masturbating has nothing to do with being sexually active.

hrun200 0

Somebody has been asking /b/ for some advice! Lol :P

I would like to know what made you have that conversation.