Secret

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States - San Francisco

Today, I found out that my boyfriend of two years has a beautiful daughter. That's cool, except she's one year old. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 021
You deserved it 2 884

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you really together for 2 years, or almost 2 years? Don't forget that her mother also carried her for 9 months.

If his daughter is 1 year old, he could have conceived her before you were with him, assuming you've been together for almost 2 years. But either ways, it must've been a shock to learn of it! FYL OP

Comments

the surprising part is he kept the kid, and accepting that's he's a dad

We don't know if that's the case. Even if it is, why would it be surprising that a man accepts his own child?

It's ultimately the woman's desicion to keep the child or not. It's in her body, and he can't force her to get an abortion. It is also possible she didn't even tell him until after birth. Since OP found out just yet it also doesn't sound like he "accepted his role as a dad".

Even if it's possible that the child was conceived before they got together, it was still wrong of the boyfriend to not disclose that he was a father. I guess it's also possible that maybe he either didn't know, or is just a deadbeat dad because something like that is hard to hide for that long if he was actually in the child's life.

Or the mother may not have wanted him involved, making him less of a deadbeat.

You people discuss about the age of this child, while I wonder if this guy knew? Because she wrote: I found out. And not: They found out. If he knew and kept it as a secret until now, there's probably no question, how old his daughter really is and when she was conceived. Mystery solved. Kick his ass, OP. Good luck.

I disagree, he couldve kept the information to himself because he was embarrassed or because there was a dispute on if he was actually the dad.

I agree. I don't think op would've wrote the FML if it worked out that the daughter was conceived before their relationship started, or if the boyfriend just now found out he had a child that was conceived before. And if he did hide the fact that he had a child because he was "embarrassed" as the other commenter suggested, than that's not really ok either. He's been too embarrassed to say anything for the past 2 years they've been together? That just makes him sound like an idiot for being embarrassed of his child and for obviously not seeing the child a whole lot and being involved in its life. He should have pictures and talk about birthdays and special events he wants to share with her...etc. It seems pretty off to me and sounds like he cheated. Sit down and have a long discussion with him op and find out if he cheated and then make your decision. Sucks to have to ditch a guy you've been with for 2 years, I bet that would be pretty hard. Good luck op!

The math could make it possible. Like 9 months to carry, and did she just now turn one? The real question is why are those two still not together? Did something just not work out, or did he leave her because of the baby. He meet you very quickly after, so as bad as that sounds it's a possibility.

Why would he keep it as a secret for two years. Isn't having a child something you tell your new girlfriend like at the first or second date?

MommyTesta 9

you tell them if you know. not necessarily on the first date or anything. but that's not really the point. who says the guy even knew he was a dad?

Ianamis 6

No you don't. Telling someone you have a child right away could scare them away. You never tell someone that first.

That means she was born when you started dating him so he wasn't cheating.

She was (possibly) conceived before she started dating him, she was BORN approximately a year ago...

AkaPanda 12

Exact age and length are required for us to say he's scum or not. It almost seems like this might be a plea for attention.

Get maury to make sure its his. That might be a crazy ex trying to pin her baby on him

I'm guessing she was conceived while you were together, there's no logical reason other than that as to why he didn't tell you. You can do a lot better OP!

MommyTesta 9

well first off, like everyone's been saying, there's a great possibility that she was conceived before your relationship. also keep in mind... everyone says you're pregnant for nine months but that isn't accurate. It's 42 weeks. which is longer. plus I doubt she's exactly one. so take her accurate age plus her 42 weeks of pregnancy ( assuming she wasn't born early or late ) and then you'll know for sure. also, did he even know? I mean, if this was a one night stand or something along those lines he may not have even known. people are quick to judge. don't just up and leave him. find out the facts first.

Some people have the baby earlier or later then 42 weeks. Not everyone is pregnant for the same amount of time. Some people have the baby extremely early and some people have it 10 days after there due date so you can't really judge how long the person was pregnant for.

MommyTesta 9

that would be why I said assuming she didn't have the baby earlier or later. if she's gonna figure out how old the kid is she may as well ask that info too while she's at it.