Romantic evening

By Neglected - 11/12/2013 19:06 - United States - Wimberley

Today, I told my husband it would be great to spend an evening with a bottle of wine and a pile of blankets on the balcony of our cabin during the cruise. He decided it would be great to ditch me and go out gambling. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 199
You deserved it 6 261

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ooh, someone's gonna be in trouble. Hit him over the head with the wine bottle.

Comments

perdix 29

Call his bluff and find another dude to enjoy wine and blankets with you. You could hit the jackpot!

Yet another bit of relationship ruining advice brought to you by FML!

perdix 29

#41, who comes here for advise?

Thejackel79 9

More specifically who goes to Perdix for advice?

What were you thinking. Its a cruise why stay at the cabin? Why didn't you go with him

that kind of sucks. maybe you could start to cry and he will get the hint?

Well OP, from the way you worded it, this sounds like it's entirely your fault. You said ''I told my husband it would be great if we did *this*'' Not ''We should/Would you like to/I'd like to'' No doubt he grunted or mumbled some vague agreement when you said it but didn't actually expect that you really wanted him to do that. Men are not telepathic and sometimes can be a bit dense. You can't hint things at men and get angry that they don't notice. Men don't take hints. You need to say what you want directly to avoid frustration and confusion. No doubt when your husband gets back he will be confused and not know why you're angry/upset.

If he is actually "confused" about why this would upset her then he really is an idiot. This is not a vague "hint"! I'm not saying that he's a jerk because he wouldn't do exactly what she wanted, because I agree - they could have compromised. But the FML sounds as though neither of them explored the idea of a compromise, so that's equally their faults. But unless she played the spoiled brat and threw a fit and refused to go out with him or whatever, he is a jerk for ditching her.

If "I think it would be great to get a bottle of wine and some blankets and spend the night relaxing and cuddling on the deck of our cabin" is a vague hint to you, then maybe the use of a mallet to get the message into your thick skull would be a good idea. If the exact wording OP used to her husband was close to what she wrote in the FML, then the message is pretty clear I think.

Actually, what she wrote was "It would be great to spend an evening with a bottle of wine and a pile of blankets on the balcony of our cabin during the cruise." If she did not say a plural to him, he may have taken it as a night to herself. I'll be honest, spending an evening like that to myself sounds amazing. if she sometimes talks about wanting nights like that to herself instead of being busy with whoever whenever, it could have been mistaken as a hint of wanting alone time on a crowded ship.

SuperMew 22

I agree. Op needs to be specific and say what she means.

it sounds more like you told him to leave you alone

arandomusernameaa 20
SuperMew 22

You are only on a cruise for so many days. I think your husband wants to have some time to himself and explore. You do not have to do everything together, even if you did plan for a romantic cruise. He might just need some space and time for himself. The cruise is likely long over, with how long it takes these things to get posted, but you might want to consider expressing your desires and not expecting your husband to agree with you every time.

The world needs more understanding women like you. Then again it also needs more respectful and caring men.

SuperMew 22

Thank you. I need space even when I am in a relationship. I feel like Op expects her husband to want to spend every moment with her. It is the same with a lot of friends I see. I need time away from the one I love, to develop my own interests and personality. You don't become two halves of a whole, you become two wholes who work for a better future together. Forgetting to talk to your partner and express your desires.

"I feel like Op expects her husband to want to spend every moment with her." That's a pretty big judgement to make from 2 sentences. You don't know their background- they may have not been spending much time together recently, or she may simply have wanted one night of the cruise with his attention just on her, or this sort of thing might happen all the time. I might be sympathising heavily with the OP though, as my partner did a similar thing- we went on a 10 day cruise (I was going to be away for 4 months for work straight after this, and prior to this we had both been working 6 day weeks), and he spent every night partying with his new-found drinking buddies, and slept in til noon every day, then spent the afternoons reading. As a result, I barely saw him, unless we were in port, or if I went out drinking with him, even when I specified many times that I wanted to spend time with him alone.

The first option sounded lovely, that was thoughtful of you :)

I wouldn't like to be in his shoes! Silly man!

Spend some time by yourself. Enjoy the cruise, and suggest the idea again tomorrow. If he ditches again, then there may be a problem to approach. Nothing wrong with doing what you want every now and then though.