Relatable

By experience_to_get_experience - 21/09/2015 19:09 - United Kingdom - Bicester

Today, I turned 25. I'm single, still living at home and doing an unpaid internship in an industry I have no interest in, because it was the only accepted application after 6 months of unemployment. The daily 45-minute drive means I'm losing money every week for being "employed" with a PhD. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 430
You deserved it 3 044

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks! You're 25 with a PhD that's impressive. I'm 25 and still trying to figure out how the toaster works.

I'm sorry things haven't been working out lately, OP. Hopefully you have support from family and friends, and who knows, maybe the connections you make in your internship will somehow help you in the future - even just as references. Best of luck to you!

Comments

4 for batchlors, 2 for Masters, 2 more for PhD...Maybe started when he was 17? Just because it took you 3 years to pass 3rd grade, doesn't mean everybody's that stupid.

Good things take time. And unpaid work does prove that you're willing. Don't get me wrong, you're not in the perfect place right now, but that doesn't mean you'll be down forever. Hang in there!

Snaxia 12

Being single isn't bad. Being taken is overrated.

What is the PHD in? Sometimes someone may get a PHD in Philosophy and that's completely useless.

How the he'll do you get a PhD at 25? You need four years of college plus at least five in grad, so you would need to be at least 27.

You are still very young OP things will turn up

Have you met with your career services office? They should be able to help you polish your curriculum vita and practice you're interviews. If you had a graduate assistants, you should have some work experience. See if you can connect with alumni from your program and ask them about their career paths.

How do you have a PhD at 25? I am very curios

just shows there are to many universities cranking out degrees that have no practical use in the real world. The guy that makes my coffee each morning bitches he has a masters in art history and can find a better job

How about teaching at community colleges or university levels? Even if that's not what you're interested in, it's something stable to help you get a degree for a field of real interest. I'm almost done with my masters and I can teach at community and university levels (not being a professor just lecturer but still that's a great job). If you got those degrees at decent schools and had decent grades, you can easily get into another type of graduate program.