Relatable

By experience_to_get_experience - 21/09/2015 19:09 - United Kingdom - Bicester

Today, I turned 25. I'm single, still living at home and doing an unpaid internship in an industry I have no interest in, because it was the only accepted application after 6 months of unemployment. The daily 45-minute drive means I'm losing money every week for being "employed" with a PhD. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 430
You deserved it 3 044

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks! You're 25 with a PhD that's impressive. I'm 25 and still trying to figure out how the toaster works.

I'm sorry things haven't been working out lately, OP. Hopefully you have support from family and friends, and who knows, maybe the connections you make in your internship will somehow help you in the future - even just as references. Best of luck to you!

Comments

It's an MMA term, "octagon punches" since they fight in octagons. Since people are fighting through life's challenges, we just use OP

I'm one for learning OP stands for original poster It's representative of the guy this FML is about

lexiieeex3 32

I know doing an unpaid internship might be awful but dude you have a PhD --you may not be able to get your dream job right away but you'll be able to move up after you put a bit of time in.

lexiieeex3 32

You are literally 12 are you really one to judge people twice your age?

Event though she hasn't experienced something like this, she might still be able to understand. No need to be rude.

why are you attacking somebody for agreeing with the OP? lmao

This makes me wonder what field you are qualified in, if you can't find any work at all in that industry.

Also, have you tried looking for work as a tutor/teaching assistant? It typically isn't too difficult to get a position doing that.

kinda deserve it if you havent applied to enough places to do with your PHD

Omg I'm so sad that my parents let me live at home until I had a doctorate! Wah wah ur a ******** some people actually HAVE to work daily with no vacation to live cause they couldn't get into a collage and here u are complaining about how well off u are. Some people have real issues okay. ur life doesn't suck because ur twenty five with a phd... I think this is some weird way of bragging... Ur life isn't ******, you are

With your grammar, I'm assuming you couldn't make it into college?

kudwafuuu 15

25 is honestly still pretty young. I don't think there's any shame with still living with your parents either, me and my boyfriend just moved back in with my family so we can save money to go to school and he's 24, saving money isn't anything to be embarrassed about :-p you've still got a lot of time ahead of you to get a job hopefully in your field or at least one you like more! just keep applying where and when you can to something closer or that pays and look for job opportunities related to your PhD as well! it might take a bit of time, but in my opinion there aren't any specific milestones in life you need to be hitting at certain age increments. good luck OP! :-)

moo77_fml 20

Gutted for you.. You've worked so hard to get your PhD.. Keep looking.. Never give up!! There is an opportunity out there for you somewhere .. If you get a chance read 'The Secret' .. Will help with positivity in your life

You took a research degree instead of a professional degree and then complain that you can't get a job in the industry?!?! Did you not think it through before taking up a PhD? Professional and research are 2 opposite path in general. In terms of employment a qualification is only worth as much as the employer is willing to pay and value. Most employers in the industry sees no value and have no use in what you have to offer, you are essentially finding work without an appropriate university degree in the industry. What you are doing is akin to learning to drive and then decide you want to fly a plane using your driving skills. Of course you aren't going to get anywhere. Start looking for employment in the areas where your PhD would help, 'industry' is certainly not the place to look.

Sooo...I don't see a reply from OP. You're just assuming he has a PhD in some form of research? You're the problem with employers today. Assuming someone's worth based on face value.

I guess a Phd in a something without economic value (i.e., job demand) was a great investment of time and money.