So young, so jaded

By Anonymous - 24/02/2021 13:59

Today, like every day, I scrolled through my social media feeds, seeing happy couples, people buying houses and landing their dream jobs. I, on the other hand, am a single 23 year-old man in a dead end job, who still lives with his parents. FML
I agree, your life sucks 633
You deserved it 585

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're not alone, but Facebook makes people feel alone like this. It's a known problem, with two causes. First, people tend to post all the happy, glamorous stuff going on in their lives. They're much less likely to post about their struggles, loneliness, etc. Second, Facebook curates which posts you'll see in your "top posts" feed: Negative posts get buried, and positive posts are widely seen. Thanks to these two things, Facebook is full of unhappy people who all think that everyone else is happy. You're not alone.

No shame living with your parents at 23. When I got divorced from the first wife, I moved back in with my parents for a bit, and I was a few years older than you and had kids. I have kids your age still living in my house and they are happy in their lives right now. Like Jon stated, go for what makes you happy, not what makes others happy.

Comments

That's the difficult thing about being an adult. Many people base their happiness on what people around them are doing. You're 23, that is pretty young. Go for not what makes other people happy, but what makes you happy. If it isn't real, one way or the other it will show, you know?

No shame living with your parents at 23. When I got divorced from the first wife, I moved back in with my parents for a bit, and I was a few years older than you and had kids. I have kids your age still living in my house and they are happy in their lives right now. Like Jon stated, go for what makes you happy, not what makes others happy.

You're not alone, but Facebook makes people feel alone like this. It's a known problem, with two causes. First, people tend to post all the happy, glamorous stuff going on in their lives. They're much less likely to post about their struggles, loneliness, etc. Second, Facebook curates which posts you'll see in your "top posts" feed: Negative posts get buried, and positive posts are widely seen. Thanks to these two things, Facebook is full of unhappy people who all think that everyone else is happy. You're not alone.

Yeah mate, gotta agree with the other commenters I'm seeing right now. Try not to let what others are doing get you down. I'm in the very same situation, single, 23, living with the parents. I'm still trying to figure out what I really want to do myself, but I've got some faith that I'll figure it out. Best of luck to you on this journey, it really is your own path.. The trick seems to be finding it

23 isn't too old to live with your parents! Save some money and you'll be in your own place before you know it.

At least you have a job. my husband has gotten laid off (job relocations, covid, another job relocation offer that was revoked) every 2 years and is currently unemployed. he's gotten passed over for jobs by minorities and women. oh, but yet he has this white privilege he keeps hearing about? he totally could've taken the unemployment last year and sat on his ass all day and doing nothing; but because he's such a hard worker, he wanted to be a contributing member of society by working. but he still manages to get kicked in the balls so bad that he has zero drive to find a job. again, be happy you have a job. you're still young yet, my man has 11 years on you.

Sounds like he should've taken the unemployment instead of making life harder on the both of you out of pride.

it's not about pride. he's a hard worker. he's had to work so hard throughout his life with school (learning disabilities) and his jobs and he never got rewarded. he didn't want a free handout, he was able bodied and wanted to work.

Maybe you ought to sign up with QAnon and save all those children while making your parents proud. Who knows, maybe you'll defeat those 5G gay voting machines and the ghost of Hugo Chavez to save the world from the next Ice Age!

Warp1978 15

Mate, at forty I've moved back in with my mum twice in three years with my wife and three kids. There's no shame in it. Facebook is problematic I don't have it but my wife does and she keeps it off her home screen and in the back of her apps so that it's there mainly because she's apt to doom scrolling through people's happy lives. Things will get better, if you don't like your job spend a half an hour at the end of the day looking for a new job. No longer though I spent hours till the early am, don't do that as its just adding to the stress.

By the time you're 23 you should have learned to develop a fake online persona. You're friends have all learned this lesson.

Facebook is literally a place where rose coloured glasses are what you see though.