Overreach

By VroomVroom - 04/03/2009 15:50 - United States

Today, at a red light, an old lady crossing the street fell right in front of my car. I got out of my car to help her. The light turned green and I was still helping the woman to her feet. An officer came by and ticketed me for "impeding the flow of traffic." FML
I agree, your life sucks 78 088
You deserved it 3 505

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What the hell?! That's soo awful!! x( Person: "But...but....this old lady needed help!" Idiot cop: "HAH! If I had a nickel for every time I heard that one..." *takes bite of donut and walks away*

arienh4 0

Do they have tickets for everything in America?

Comments

SamuraiDeli 0

Sounds a lot like http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/02/good-samaritan.html No good deed goes unpunished. Fight the Man.

That's bullshit. Reminds me of the guy who got a ticket for jaywalking when he was helped someone. -.-

I agree with the fact that #2, #10, and #12 need to stop ******* whining and accept the fact that shit like this does happen. Police officers are dicks about enforcing the law at all the wrong times. They don't use judgment in issuing tickets and seeing the purpose of the law (in this case to keep traffic moving, but it only matters if it can move), but just follow it by the letter - and the law says that the OP was obstructing traffic, since he abandoned his car in the middle of the road, even if it was to help an old woman out of the way of traffic. She had the right to be there because in the good old USofA pedestrians who start crossing legally have the right of way the entire way across the road. Basically police officers are dicks and pull this kind of shit, but if you fight it in court the judge will (hopefully) do his job in interpreting the law appropriately and throw the case away.

gqduck 0

Go to the court and contest it. Even if they don't drop the ticket they'll usually at least reduce the fine. Good luck!

Actually, in this case there is no chance they would even reduce the fine. The cop was already being extremely generous. OP should have been charged with abandoning their vehicle which would be a considerably larger fine at the very least.

jc325217 0

uh you do you know this is fake ive had some expieriences with police officers beings unbelievable pigs too.

And thissss is why I hate cops. I know I shouldn't generalize all cops to be assholes, but most of them it seems like are just guys who feel inferior so got a badge and now go on rampant ego trips.

6- yeah, police here will give you tickets for just about anything that they think they can. And it sucks. But I don't really buy this. Are cops dicks when it comes to ticketing? They can be. But they wouldn't give you a ticket just because you had to help an old lady up. Really, you'd be holding up traffic whether you helped her up or you waited for her to get up on her own.