Not an ally, then

By acorn - 08/08/2009 23:59 - United States

Today, I was on the phone with my mother making arrangements to go to a dinner tonight where I will be honored for my political activism. She made it clear she's only going for me, and does NOT support the gay rights group that is putting the dinner on. I was planning on coming out after dinner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 803
You deserved it 7 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

**** you. Do you know how many parents disown their children after finding out they're gay? It's reached a point where nobody feels safe coming out unless they're certain their parents support gay equality. If there were no Christian right-wing fuckwits, nobody would feel a need to hide their sexual orientation.

Actually, the main Christian beliefs are supposed to be about equality, and treating everyone how you want to be treated, as well as loving other people. It's just a few idiots who use their Christianity as an excuse to shitcan everyone else. It's like how some people think that Muslims are terrorists. It's only a few extremists who ignore the teachings that make everyone else look bad.

Comments

_PuttnontheRitz_ 0

I think she has the right to her opinions, however she doesnt need to be so harsh about it. The OP needs to realize not everyone is for gay rights. The mother could have been a little nicer about it, but she was just blunt. Oh well. It is an FML for having to hear that from your mother, however its kind of a YDI for coming out in the first place and complaining about how someone doesnt like gays. "YDI for having a homophobic bigot for a mother" Really? Honestly? You've got to be kidding. How did this turn out to be a religious debate? It's an FML, nothing more. Honestly, calling a certain religion stupid for their beliefs just proves that you're as close-minded as the OP's mother. I'll choose FML, not only for your mother being so rash and harsh to her own daughter, but for some of the people on here.

Hermyoni 0

I love how every post with a differing opinion has been given negative reviews causing them not to be shown. Just because it's different doesn't make it wrong after all isn't that what the OP preaches in there advocacy. Every story has two sides just like every opinion but I guess whomever keeps voting mine off doesn't get that.

Why do y'all hate Christians so much? Not all of us are bigots, you know. For Christmas last year, my entire Catholic family came to my house for Christmas, my uncle included. He brought his boyfriend with him, and announced to the entire family that he was gay. We had no issues accepting it. In fact, his boyfriend is one of the coolest people I've ever met. So stop talking about how all Christians are unaccepting. And ACORN, I wish you luck with your mom. As I've seen some others say, most people aren't too accepting until they realize someone amazing they know is gay. I hope your mother comes to be as accepting as my family was. And congratulations on you award! I think it's awesome what you're doing :)

I think a mod should probably shut of the comments. In the next 15 minutes this is about to get a lot more hateful.

I wish people could keep their cool when discussing certain subjects, but being this is the internet, open to everyone, there's always going to be individuals that will "open their big mouths." I agree comments for FML's like these should be shut off. In fact, I don't know why we have commenting in the first place.

At least you know where she stands. Come out and let her know where YOU stand. Be true to yourself and let the chips fall where they may.

god whats with all the douches on the internet ;)

crack_aint_whack 0

Thank you #83, I was about to say that. #33 Its a shame all the christians you have met fail at life. I'm completely out to all my friends, some of which are christian, and none of them like me any less because of it. They have the same opinion as #73. As long as it isn't called marriage, they don't care. I personally don't care what its called as long as its recognized by the government (both state and federal) so things like adoption are easier.

You are who you are. Either your mom accepts you or she doesn't. She would be stupid not to accept you.

crack_aint_whack 0

42 totally stole a few of the things I was going to say, but probably said them better than I would have, so thanks :) I would never ask for forgiveness for being gay. I didn't ask to be like this, but I love who I am. If that means I'm going to Hell, awesome. I will probably be surrounded by all of my friends.

crack_aint_whack 0

It would probably be warm steel reserve as a punishment for being a sinner though.