Not an ally, then

By acorn - 08/08/2009 23:59 - United States

Today, I was on the phone with my mother making arrangements to go to a dinner tonight where I will be honored for my political activism. She made it clear she's only going for me, and does NOT support the gay rights group that is putting the dinner on. I was planning on coming out after dinner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 803
You deserved it 7 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

**** you. Do you know how many parents disown their children after finding out they're gay? It's reached a point where nobody feels safe coming out unless they're certain their parents support gay equality. If there were no Christian right-wing fuckwits, nobody would feel a need to hide their sexual orientation.

Actually, the main Christian beliefs are supposed to be about equality, and treating everyone how you want to be treated, as well as loving other people. It's just a few idiots who use their Christianity as an excuse to shitcan everyone else. It's like how some people think that Muslims are terrorists. It's only a few extremists who ignore the teachings that make everyone else look bad.

Comments

HereIAm88 0

I find you more disgusting than any gay person.

Jarlais 0

fag bag or butch bitch? pick one! :p

Well, you do make some points, and you weren't disrespectful like some people (on both sides of the argument), but I'm afraid you don't have all of the facts. I study religion professionally. Specifically from a historical perspective, rather than a theological. So yes, all of those things you mentioned were sins, but of varying degrees. Also, the people who lived in (almost all of the) Old Testament didn't believe in Hell. Hell was a Roman concept (Hades) that was adopted by SOME Jews only about 3 hundred years or less before Jesus. However, where Jesus grew up and preached was in one of the areas that had adopted many Roman ideals and philosophies, and so early Christianity grew to take this with them. (It might be of note that not all Christians believed in Hell, either. There were two main sects of early Christianity, and one was crushed out in about 280 A.D. for mainly political reasons with the canonization of the New Testament.) Also, it's largely known that the stoning to death for many sins/crimes was not enforced at ANY time. It was more of a threat to keep people in line. Much like a parent saying "if you live under this roof, you have to live by my rules." Barring extremes, this isn't actually a threat to kick a child out. Also, masturbating and having sex with a man (let the record show, no where in a Bible is lesbianism mentioned) were not considered moral sins. All you had to do to redeem yourself morally was to go to the Mikvah, a ritual washing house (where the idea of baptism came from). They were sins at all probably because of the mistaken idea that a man had a certain amount of sperm, and once it was used there wasn't any more. Homosexuality was not punishable by death, was not a moral sin. Know what was a moral sin? Eating pork. How many Christians that advocate the death or punishment of gays eat pork? Until you learn your history, please be quiet. I promise you that you don't know what your talking about. And for another pet peeve, Jehovah is not a name of God. It was a mistranslation made by Middle Age religious scholars that decided not to talk to Rabbis or Hebrew speakers when doing their work. No Jew has ever said Jehovah referring to God. It is a nonsense word. Okay, I'm done.

ohhhhman 0

well, nobody asked you...so....get over it? okay. sounds good.

The comments here make me disgusted and remind me why I hate the human race.

oh well, go jump off a building. one lee gay person

Tizzy_fml 0

I know that, I never said all Christians are like that. Hell, my parents are Christians and they aren't like that. That's why I said "extremists", those are the people who do go by the bible word-for-word. The crazy Christians are the ones I'm against.

flopears115 0

Oh yeah? Well what does that say about me since I support gays?

je_vous_aime 0

okay. you're right. i did read it incorrectly. Being gay is not a sin.

free2rhyme 0

Honesty people? Go somewhere else to have your debate. This is America, she has freedom and can do whatever she wants. In addition, she's allowed to be who she is. I mean look at every kids show..."be who you want to be. Do whatever you want and be WHO you are." that's the key to happiness

cactus_fml 0

To all the people saying things like "BEING GAY IS A SIN, YOU'RE A FAG, GOD HATES YOU GO TO HELL," **** you. You give Christians a bad name. The Bible says to love people and treat them as you would like to be treated regardless of their beliefs, not to only love straight people with the same opinions as you. You're not helping your Christian cause. You're not going to make anyone want to be a Christian by being hateful. You're just making yourselves look like ignorant bigots. Which one do you think God is going to punish, a nice gay person or a hateful straight person? Yeah, you guys are really Godly. You can disagree without being douchebags. I support love.

RainnDrop shut the **** up, what do you think gives you the right to judge people about something they cannot change? You aren't making yourself seem very smart either, you just look like an arrogant, narrow-minded, hateful, half-retarded asshole who follows only what your precious bible says, because you think that it's the "truth" when it kind of obviously isn't.

WPQ14 15

RainnDrop, the bible was also written by humans, got that, HUMANS, in the old ages. Just like the Koran, or any other religious script. Humankind, back in the days of fear and animosity. Research...please. The internet is obviously your friend.

Sarayui 0

I've seen a really large amount of bad coming out stories on FML, about how they were going to come out then there parents said something negative about it right before they did, says something sad about our society that we don't accept love.