Not an ally, then

By acorn - 08/08/2009 23:59 - United States

Today, I was on the phone with my mother making arrangements to go to a dinner tonight where I will be honored for my political activism. She made it clear she's only going for me, and does NOT support the gay rights group that is putting the dinner on. I was planning on coming out after dinner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 804
You deserved it 7 829

Same thing different taste

Top comments

**** you. Do you know how many parents disown their children after finding out they're gay? It's reached a point where nobody feels safe coming out unless they're certain their parents support gay equality. If there were no Christian right-wing fuckwits, nobody would feel a need to hide their sexual orientation.

Actually, the main Christian beliefs are supposed to be about equality, and treating everyone how you want to be treated, as well as loving other people. It's just a few idiots who use their Christianity as an excuse to shitcan everyone else. It's like how some people think that Muslims are terrorists. It's only a few extremists who ignore the teachings that make everyone else look bad.

Comments

I am bisexual myself. I've met many gay people, and almost all of them are nice, caring, decent people. I have never met a nice, caring, decent homophobe.

Shut up RainnDrop, you're just a minor blip on the surface of the earth. You'll die all alone and then we'll see who's going to heaven and who is going to hell

This story really struck home for me, as it has become a past time for me to call out people on their homophobia. So, let's see, #178. You said "...but just the fact that they're gay makes them stupid fags". Let's break that apart, shall we? Let's first take out the word "stupid" and look at the sentence now: ...but just the fact that they're gay makes them fags. Well, now that the word fag has gone from a word describing cigarettes and bundlings of sticks to a term for homosexuals, I'd say that's a bit redundant, don't you? It's the equivalent of saying "The fact that they are gay makes them gay". Good deduction! Now, lets add in the word "stupid". Now the sentence reads like normal "...but just the fact that they're gay makes them stupid fags". So, you are saying that the mere fact of their homosexuality makes them not quite as intelligent as others? Well, now that's just prejudice, isn't it. If we want to pull the prejudice card, why don't I just saying that just because of the fact that you are a trolling homophobic internet punk, you are an idiot? If you're comment of "just cause they're gay they are stupid fags" holds true, then I guess mine does as well. Oh wait, what's that. I think my statement is actually true, whilst yours isn't. Isn't that silly? The fact of the matter is is that you are insecure about your own sexuality. So, in turn, you find the need to label everything as homosexual, because God forbid people think you are gay. You might get *gasp* made fun of. You see that homosexuals are discriminated against, and you in turn (instead of trying to be the bigger person, and defend something perfectly alright) turn around and join that ignorant crowd, in hopes of blending in. Am I correct in summing all that up? I think I am. God bless you acorn. You are a brave person for being open about your sexuality, and not letter idiots like #178 get in your way.

No...that's not the truth. No matter how you try to put it, that's an opinion. People cheer you on because they agree with you, just as people cheer me on for agreeing with me. Now, I am all for opinions, and keeping them sacred. But going on to FML and bashing people over the Internet is not the right way of going about it. I really could care less how strong you feel about this, but going online and acting like an asshole does not get you anywhere. I know this may come to you as a surprise, because I'm sure you like to think everyone's your friend, but I'm sure a lot of people here hate you. I can't say I do, because I don't know you, but you are quite annoying. You're kind of like a stupid little buzzing mosquito; insignificant enough to actually matter, but always there being slightly annoying. I enjoyed your little comment "I think you're a nerd filled with zits btw..." It's good to assume that people more intelligent than yourself has certain medical conditions. I do try to maintain my skin, but like EVERYBODY (yes, everybody does eventually get skin acne), I have occasional zits. If you want to go on about this religious crap, isn't that how God made everyone? You go on about the Bible and such. Tell me, what does the Bible have to do with anything? I mean, sure, for you Christian folk, I'm sure you follow it to the dot, and I really don't care about that. You can follow whatever religion you please. But what about the rest of use who do not follow Christianity? It really doesn't do much for us. Why should we follow some book that was written so many years ago? Back then, they hated everyone that was different. This is a new era, RainnDrop. That was over 2000 years ago. Maybe we should, you know, get with the program, and not be hateful individuals. This is why the world sucks, this is why nobody can trust one another. It really comes down to people like you. Now, I am not saying I am an atheist, or something like that. I have my own religions. In fact, I use to be a Christian, but it's people like you that made me decided against continuing on with that. It's a strange thing that when a book written by somebody 2000 years ago tells you to do something, you all jump on the homophobic band wagon and ride it down to the grimy end. That really says something about humanity. I'm not trying to insult your religion, but I mean, come on. Listen to yourself. If God created everyone in his image, why would he create homosexuals, and then have people hate them? Doesn't make sense, does it? And if you're so intent on sins, isn't Wrath a deadly sin? I do believe so. You pride yourself in not sinning by associating yourself with homosexuals, yet you are committing Wrath, which is a deadly sin. Oh, and look at that, another deadly sin! Hubris! You're so proud of your life free of sin, which constitutes as hubris. I suggest that you re-read that silly Bible of yours, and think before commenting like you have.

No...that's not the truth. That fact that people have agreed with you does not make it the truth. It's just your own opinion. We all have them, but some people, like yourself, like to flaunt it around and shove it in other peoples faces. As to why you people do this, I still have no answer, but what I do know is that it is getting very old. Just keep it to yourself, nobody really cares. You're kind of like a little buzzing mosquito, insignificant enough to actually matter, but always there, being a minor nuisance. I enjoyed your little comment "I think you're a nerd with zits, btw..." It's good to assume that people more intelligent that yourself have certain medical conditions. I do try to maintain my skin, but like EVERYBODY (yes, everyone gets skin acne occasionally), I have occasional zits. If you want to go on about this religious crap, isn't that how God made everybody? You go on about the Bible and such, and how it says that Gay's aren't right, so we should follow that. Tell me, though, what does the Bible have to do with anything? I mean, sure, for you Christian folk, I'm sure it's very influential, and you probably follow it to the dot, in attempts of getting to "Heaven". But what us people who aren't Christian? We have no reason to follow said book. Why should we? It was written over 2000 years ago, back in a time where everybody hated those that were different. I would think that by now, we should know a little better. This is really why the world sucks, and why humanity is terrible. It really comes down to people like you. Now, I'm not saying I'm an atheist, or something like that. I do have my own religion. In fact, I use to be a Christian, but it was people like you that made me decided against continuing on with that religion. It's a strange thing that when a book written 2000 years ago tells people to hate a certain kind of people, they jump on the homophobic band wagon and ride it to it's grimy end. If I remember correctly, I believe it was Christianity that started the Holocaust. I'm not trying to insult your religion, but come on. Listen to yourself. If God created everyone in his image, why would he create homosexuals, and then have everyone hate them? Doesn't make sense does it? Not to mention, hating them is a sin, isn't it. I believe you are committing Wrath, one of the deadly sins. You pride yourself in not sinning by associating yourself with homosexuals, yet you are committing Wrath in the process. Oh look at that! Another deadly sin! Hubris! In your haste to follow that silly Bible of yours, you have committed Hubris! Damn, that really sucks doesn't it. I suggest you refer back to your cute little Bible on this one, and maybe think before posting comments on FML like that.

Sorry I posted that twice. My internet timed out while writing the first one, so I wrote it again. Read whichever one you want, they still say the same thing.

DrunkIrishman, that is not at all what the big bang is. Maybe you should read about something before criticizing it.

You people have already made you're misguided "point" you can leave the rest of us alone now

I'm sorry I swear a lot but only when they said "fag" or were just incredibly annoying -.-

echarperouge 0
WPQ14 15

I believe you're the stupid one. None of us have a problem with straight people. If the world were run by gays, do you think we'd degrade and dehumanize our own species just for being different? It's called diversity, genius. Grow up and learn something.

WPQ14 15

Honey, do whatever you feel is right. I wish I'd had the opportunity to come out to my parents last summer, and they're just now halfway coming around to the fact in a more positive light. You're obviously old enough now that you don't live with them, so there is nothing to be afraid of. I am proud to be a bisexual woman, and I really wish I hadn't tried to lie to myself my entire life.

Hey guys, there's a lot of hate out there, on both sides. All this hate, well it's just not getting us anywhere. As I read through all these comments, I see a very small amount of people trying to give advice to this person. My advice is to just be who you are and don't worry about what other people think. I know she's your mom, but if she can't accept you for who you are then that's her problem. I agree with other people in that the only thing that you might want to wait on is becoming financially independent from her. That said, the rest of you are either hating on homosexuals, hating on Christians, or trying to defend your own beliefs. I know not everyone who commented on here has done this, but the majority of you have. Instead of saying "Hmm, I've never thought of it like that before" or "You may be right about that, but this is what I believe", you say things like "No, you ^&^**$@##%%&$&, you're wrong, you're retarded, etc.". Can't we be civil? People are trying to explain their lifestyle, their faith, what they believe, whether it be science or God. Haven't the haters (i.e. people who say 'YDI for being gay' or 'all Christians are Hitler') spread enough hate as it is without us adding to it? When it comes down to it, it just doesn't seem to be worth it to argue over whether God created the world or life arose spontaneously, whether or not there is a heaven or hell and what they are like, who will be going there, etc. Arguing about this stuff isn't going to make any difference. You aren't going to change somebody's mind about what they believe. I am a Christian, and while I would very much like to straighten a few things out that other Christians have said, somewhat incorrectly, I'm not going to do that because of the reasons I just stated. I just want other people to realize that whether you have read the Bible or not, or whether you have read every science book in the world or not, you still can not claim to fully understand Christianity if you aren't currently a Christian, or the spontaneous beginning of the universe if you don't currently hold to that belief. Therefore you can't say that the other person is wrong. I say this with confidence because after reading through all of these comments I find that nobody accurately understands Christianity, not even the other Christians. Sometimes I've read a comment thinking 'finally, someone is explaining it correctly', but I'm disappointed when I come to the part that is inaccurate and of course makes Christianity sound like a judgmental faith (it is in fact completely the opposite, which is hard to believe considering all the judgmental Christians). I am 100% positive that I don't fully understand the scientific reasoning behind the beginning of the universe without a Creator because I personally don't subscribe to that belief. I hope you understand that I am not judging anyone based on what they wrote, I just want everyone who reads this to realize how counter-productive all of this arguing and hate is, and to think about it next time they write a comment, or do anything really, so that maybe they will do it less abrasively and with more acceptance; and that's really where we start making our world a better place.

really77 6

For all of you who say that being gay is a choice, its not. I'm not only saying that because scientists have proved it, but I'm saying it because i would gaurantee that almost half of the gay population wishes that they weren't gay. It's people like you that make it hard for gay people to be themselves. It is also people like you that make gay people kill themselves. Just because you don't agree with the lifestyle doesn't mean that you have to give them dirty looks or say rude things to them for just trying to be themselves. Ex: If your best friend (who is a girl) has feelings for this really unattractive boy because she likes his personality and you think she shouldn't go out with him because he's unattractive so she decides to not like him anymore. But she still thinks about him and still wishes she could be with him only she doesn't want you to be disgusted with her so she doesn't do what her heart wants. It doesn't mean she stops having feelings for him, but now she just has to hide them and start hating herself for it. It wasn't her choice to have feelings for him, but she can't help the way she feels. That is probably what every gay person feels before they come out. They don't choose to have feelings for the same sex, but is it fair that we ask them to ignore those feelings? No. Just like it wouldn't be fair to ask your bestfriend to ignore her feelings for an unattractive boy. Also, some of you on here are contradicting yourself by saying that gay people should have the same rights as straight people, but you don't think they should be aloud to get married or it shouldn't be aloud to be called marriage. But what is marriage when straight people get divorced all the time? And for those of you gay people who hate christians that isn't fair either. It's not only christians who hate gay people. I believe everyone has a right to their oppinion, but that does not mean that they have to voice their oppinion. I also believe that you should treat gay people the same way you would treat straight people because really, what is the difference between us? We love who we love, and i believe that if god didn't want it to be that way, then it wouldn't be.