Not an ally, then

By acorn - 08/08/2009 23:59 - United States

Today, I was on the phone with my mother making arrangements to go to a dinner tonight where I will be honored for my political activism. She made it clear she's only going for me, and does NOT support the gay rights group that is putting the dinner on. I was planning on coming out after dinner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 804
You deserved it 7 829

Same thing different taste

Top comments

**** you. Do you know how many parents disown their children after finding out they're gay? It's reached a point where nobody feels safe coming out unless they're certain their parents support gay equality. If there were no Christian right-wing fuckwits, nobody would feel a need to hide their sexual orientation.

Actually, the main Christian beliefs are supposed to be about equality, and treating everyone how you want to be treated, as well as loving other people. It's just a few idiots who use their Christianity as an excuse to shitcan everyone else. It's like how some people think that Muslims are terrorists. It's only a few extremists who ignore the teachings that make everyone else look bad.

Comments

YDI for being gay. I feel really bad for your mom, she probably wanted grandkids and obviously wanted a normal straight daughter. FHL - F Her Life.

gctuba99 0

guitarlover: You are amazing.

wow! Ok, how many Gay Vs. Strait debates do we need on fmylife.com? every time a gay or lesbian says anything that hits at homosexuality being gay there is a giant debate that goes on is the comments section. I really don't give a shit! If the gays want to be happy in life, let them be happy. Don't force them to be miserable just because you are. Now get this, I"M STRAIT!!! But I'm not an asshole whose making homosexuality sound immoral and the end of our civilization as we know it. but I am really tired of the redundancy of FML'S like this one, ok here's the outline (Today, choose a parent, you were going to come out, they said something against gays, FML) its getting rally annoying and lame please stop. You can continue to be gay but stop complaining about being rejected by society.

Thank you #73, I am the same way as you. Just because I am a Christian does not mean I discriminate. These people shouldn't bash on christianity just because of a few extremists. And not all homophobes are christian either so don't blame it all on us. One of my best friends is gay and I accept him wholly.

really77 6

We shouldn't have to be "rejected by society" we haven't done anything wrong. As for the people posting FML's about being gay or whatever...isn't that what this site is for? Your supposed to post things that make you say "**** My Life" correct? So yeah your going to get alot of posts about people being shunned because they're gay because its a contraversy in our society that mainly effects gay people. I don't see you complaining about there being so many posts about people getting cheated on. Now why is that?

Tizzy_fml 0

WHAT THE **** DID I JUST SAY, YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Tizzy_fml 0

Wow, so many hate comments and idiotic comments. Anyways, to #20 on your whole paragraph about being liberal and democratic is the wrong political group? XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD That's SO ******* funny! Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about, I'm sorry you had to be bred into a family of right-winged conservative liberal bashers. And stop trying to convince people into converting into your political group. Keep on topic, you crazy douche. Anyways, most people who bash gay people haven't even read the Leviticus (Where it says the stuff about gay people) or anything. The Leviticus is probably the most ****** up part of the old testament, it's basically a hand book for Russian dictators. The reason I say Russian dictators is because the Leviticus orders men to not cut their beards for it is a sin to cut your beard (There was a Russian dictator who ordered all men not to shave their beards), it also says that you're not aloud to wear linen and wool together nor to eat crayfish or shrimp or frogs. The Leviticus has so many ridiculous rules it is silly to believe any word of it. In our society, the only thing we really pay attention to is the sexual things out of the Leviticus, no one else pays attention to the other things. I got this little article thingy majig from a friend of mine once, it basically says what I'm trying to say, but in better words: "An engineering professor is treating her husband, a loan officer, to dinner for finally giving in to her pleas to shave off the scraggly beard he grew on vacation. His favorite restaurant is a casual place where they both feel comfortable in slacks and cotton/polyester-blend golf shirts. But, as always, she wears the gold and pearl pendant he gave her the day her divorce decree was final. They're laughing over their menus because they know he always ends up diving into a giant plate of ribs but she won't be talked into anything more fattening than shrimp. Quiz: How many biblical prohibitions are they violating? Well, wives are supposed to be 'submissive' to their husbands (I Peter 3:1). And all women are forbidden to teach men (I Timothy 2:12), wear gold or pearls (I Timothy 2:9) or dress in clothing that 'pertains to a man' (Deuteronomy 22:5). Shellfish and pork are definitely out (Leviticus 11:7, 10) as are usury (Deuteronomy 23:19), shaving (Leviticus 19:27) and clothes of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19). And since the Bible rarely recognizes divorce, they're committing adultery, which carries the rather harsh penalty of death by stoning (Deuteronomy 22:22). So why are they having such a good time? Probably because they wouldn't think of worrying about rules that seem absurd, anachronistic or - at best - unrealistic. Yet this same modern-day couple could easily be among the millions of Americans who never hesitate to lean on the Bible to justify their own anti-gay attitudes." Anyways, the right-winged conservative christian extremists need to shut the **** up because they are just idiotic bigots who are hypocrites and don't know what they are talking about when they say "The bible says gays are bad". Anywho, I'm bisexual and it was WAY easier for me to come out because my brother (Who's gay) came out before me and they were WAY supportive... though, my dad was a little bit hesitant and, at first, blamed my other brother for calling him names all the time (i.e. fag, gay, etc.) and that my Gay brother was just convinced into thinking he was gay because of the constant gay bashing (My dad is not that bright, as you can tell). But, later on, my dad excepted him. When I came out as bi, I thought my parents would be totally accepting but they just went into denial because they don't "understand" bisexuality. They have come around, but my dad was the worst about it. He said things like "You're just confused, wait until you're 18 or have a boyfriend, you'll see" he has also called me idiot and said "You don't know what you're talking about, you don't know". So, in order for me to convince my dad that I am indeed attracted to girls I said "I'm either Bi or I'm a Lesbian!" which shut him up. I'm pretty sure that was the last argument we had about my sexual orientation, but I'm not too sure if my dad is yet all the way convinced I'm bi or he just thinks I'm a lesbian now because it's just impossible to be bisexual. But, anyways, my dad used to be homophobic and now he's not because of my brother, who came out, so your mom could get a little enlightened if you came out to her. :) But, yea, wait until you're totally financially independent from them, sometimes you're not as lucky as my brother and I.

Ily. I couldn't have said it better myself.

ohhhhman 0

i agree with guitarlover, i don't think it's doing any good arguing on here. especially when people are so against listening. i was trying to defend my own beliefs earlier because i wanted to show that they don't make me a gay-hater or homophobe. to rainndrop- you have a right to your own beliefs but there is no need to try to put others down... and to everyone bashing the bible- ...pretty much the same applies. tizzy- you can be put in the above grouping, but i thought i should say something special just for you:) most Christians don't go by the bible word-for-word. it's about taking the meaning and appling it to your life today. i actually believe that some of the bible actually has some parts that are uninspired...such as the songs of Soloman. i also believe that we still recieve revelations today through things such as prayer which make up for it. so you can't really judge Christians on just the type you know. there are many different branches now. i'm not arguing with you...just informing:) yeah, i'm also conservative...but i don't bash liberals, either. please stop basing your judgments on the jerks you know...we're not all like that...:)

PlasmaFox 0

So you publicly proclaim that you are doing something outside the norm that has been controversial literally since the Stone Age, and then you complain when people dislike it? I don't hate gay people, but YDI for thinking that everyone is and should be accepting of your sexuality and making a big deal about it when they aren't. The military has a good policy here: "don't ask, don't tell". I suggest sticking to that. Nobody needs to know you're gay.

Some people are very closed minded. You are brave to have accepted who you are and to have made plans to tell her.