Noooooo! Duuuuude!

By Thai rice mistake - 12/02/2013 08:04 - United States - Oakland

Today, I was super hungry and went to a Thai restaurant. The waitress left two small bowls of fried rice on the counter, and I thought they were for me. I ate one and a lady came over screaming. Apparently the small cups of rice was part of a religious ceremony. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 806
You deserved it 19 011

Same thing different taste

Top comments

cradle6 13

If you were sitting at a bar, I could understand. If you were at a table and you got up to grab the food, then YDI.

Snap, crackle, and pop: The Gods of the Rice Universe...bad mistake to take their sacrifice

Comments

ThatGuyWhoTalks 10

No worries, I would've done the same thing, I'm pretty ******* dense like that. :/

you deserve it as well just for posting lol to be the first comment and then changing it......

I really dont know how he deserved it. How does this fml even relate to Naruto? did you know Naruto is a Japanese Anime/Manga. Korean and Japanese are two seperate races.

12 - he went to a Thai restaurant, not Korean.

I am Thai and as far as I'm concerned, the food for ceremonies are usually served in a distinguished bowl/dish not the one we eat from everyday. But if people couldn't tell the difference, then I don't think it's OP's fault for not knowing and she shouldn't have screamed at you. She could've done it in a more polite way.

cradle6 13

If you were sitting at a bar, I could understand. If you were at a table and you got up to grab the food, then YDI.

Snap, crackle, and pop: The Gods of the Rice Universe...bad mistake to take their sacrifice

Maybe they will turn him into a pig like in "Spirited Away".

Love that movie. That scene always made me hungry.

Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one who liked that movie!

It's what happens when you take something that doesn't belong to you.

Misswildsides 22

OP just said they thought it was for them..

Oops I read it wrong. Thanks for pointing it out.

I read it fast and therefore wrong. So shoot me! Calm down people, it's only FML.

tw416 6

Maybe they will consider you a god now... Or that crazy guy who ate the rice. lol

Is that a Challenger in your profile picture?

Probably something with German origins, considering they are in Germany, a car Capitol of the world and the home of the autobahn.

In the US we have German cars, I'd assume in Germany they have American cars as well

Actually Anerican cars are considered a luxury car over in Germany. Mercedes, Audi, and BMW are everyday cheap cars over there. Yes, i've been from Germany, Luxemburg, and Switzerland.

tw416 6

You are correct. Haha most people don't realize that

Uh oh, I hope for your sake they don't take sacrilege too seriously in their culture...

Sacrilege should be taken seriously in ANY culture.

asnakelovinbabe 16

Or..... People could stop overreacting to such stupid shit, like someone accidentally eating a bowl of rice. It's a BOWL OF RICE for crying out loud!

Yes, #89. Let's mock the beliefs of other cultures you don't understand.

well they shouldn't have left them on the counter, but whenever you are hungry do you just find the first edible thing and claim it as yours whether its at your table or not

It's pretty common to have a counter where food stands while waiting staff are busy.

crazytwinsmom 25

OP may have been sitting at the counter, not a table. And if they had not ordered yet, then they may have thought it was an appetizer.

TheDrifter 23

Odd, I have been to a large number of restaurants and I don't ever remember free food you didn't have to order being part of the service.

PoopNuggetLeader 4

Mexican restaurants, chips and salsa

jisaac09 25

Rolls or some other type of bread is usually brought to my table without ordering anything. OP may have thought this was the Thai equivalent of bread.

34, at my local chinese restaurant they give out a bowl of chips and sweet sauce for free as soon as you sit down, free refills too.

TheDrifter 23

Ah, here they don't bring either until you order. Too many cheap buggers here, they'd get a water and call it a free dinner.

bredahl 26

Olive garden bread sticks, Red Lobster cheesy bread...

Holy run on sentence, 7. I tried to read it out loud but blacked out halfway through it.

No offense to you but you obviously have not been to as many restaurants as you think x)

TheDrifter 23

Haha, I'm a trucker, I've been to thousands. I forgot about the Mexican restaurant chips and salsa, and I prefer good food to knock off ethnic themed family restaurants. Bread and salad, often soup are commonly complimentary , but generally arrive after you order, in case you would prefer something light.

You should try to get work in Spain. Here almost every restaurant will bring you a small portion of their own speciality "tapa". Sometimes it's chorizo, sometimes a montadito (small slice of lightly toasted baguette topped with a variety of vegetables or meat) and sometimes something else depending on what that restaurant does well. Not to mention you normally get a free shot of "digestive" (strong!) liquor after your meal. That bit may not be so great for you though, considering your job...

jamerasian 8

Hey OP, that wasn't very rice of you.

perdix 29

The punishment for that is a. . . *lowers sunglasses* Bangkok.

For all the thumbs down Perdix this kind of made my day.

asnakelovinbabe 16

I think I love you for that comment.

perdix 29

#47, me or the guy who dumped on me?

asnakelovinbabe 16

You, Perdix. It was love at first sight.

asnakelovinbabe 16

54- in the uncropped version of this picture, there is a snake popping out of my cleavage. Does it still count!?

perdix 29

#52, aw, shucks, I'm blushing! Thanks. I didn't see the snake in your cleavage :(

asnakelovinbabe 16

That's because for some reason my dumbass used a cropped one. Guess it's time to fix it!

asnakelovinbabe 16

*dumb ass. I do not possess a stupid person. I just am one for that mistake.

perdix 29

#64, yes, you fixed it! Now I see the cleavage. Thanks -- I feel loved ;)

This just makes me think of hangover 2 (which ever one where they went to Bangkok and the stripper had "junk" and had sex with what's his face erm Andy from the office)

As far as i've seen, the thai are very religious. Especially the females. It's how they were raised. I think this is a YDI because you should've asked if it was actually for you or not before eating it. Did you even order before you decided to eat the rice?

We don't actually know where OP was sitting so I mean maybe she was at a bar and the rice was out beside her in the meantime.........if you go to a restaurant and they put bread out does that mean you also ask if its for you cause it could be a religious bread. I say the waitress should have at least told OP about the significance of the rice.

OP mentioned it was on the counter which would be possible he was at the bar. Regardless, if OP had ordered fried rice and assumed a small bowl was his order is questionable because no place will serve it in a small bowl unless you ask for a small bowl. Secondly, either you're sitting at the table or bar, food will be placed in front of you. Not beside you unless there is no other room to place thing.

Wouldn't it make sense to just ask if the rice is for you? I mean, I've sat at counters in restaurants before, and you can usually tell if they intend the food for you or not. But if you're not sure, just ask. Don't just grab whatever is nearby and eat it.