Is it slander or libel?

By Anonymous - 10/08/2019 00:01

Today, I posted a review, on a strictly anonymous site, about a doctor I went to see for my anxiety but who actually made me worse. A while later, the same doctor called my home phone, addressed me by my full name and threatened to sue me for slander if I didn't take down the review. All of which was 100% true. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 576
You deserved it 191

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CLEARLY the doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. First of all, slander is defamation that is spoken, not written. What he's thinking of is actually called libel. As you know, truth is a defense to defamation, so as long as the things you've stated in your review were accurate and specific, or were an opinion, I wouldn't worry too much. As always, don't ignore a lawsuit if served lest a default judgement be issued against you, but again I wouldn't be too concerned. The fact that the site was anonymous and he was able to correctly ascertain who you were seems to be a good indication that what you wrote was accurate.

TrashlifeKaylala 12

Sue him back for some kind of malpractice or harassment?

Comments

TrashlifeKaylala 12

Sue him back for some kind of malpractice or harassment?

CLEARLY the doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. First of all, slander is defamation that is spoken, not written. What he's thinking of is actually called libel. As you know, truth is a defense to defamation, so as long as the things you've stated in your review were accurate and specific, or were an opinion, I wouldn't worry too much. As always, don't ignore a lawsuit if served lest a default judgement be issued against you, but again I wouldn't be too concerned. The fact that the site was anonymous and he was able to correctly ascertain who you were seems to be a good indication that what you wrote was accurate.

Unless you named him, or wrote of one quality that would identify him, then you're safe.

it's a review of him online. I don't think he needs to be names for people to know who he is lol. regardless a proper anonymous review is not slander. if he contacted them he probably also broke some site rule about maintaining anonymity

record all calls, make a report against him that he used your personal information against you and go for his lisence

thisshtissad 11

This reminds me of this dentist who took out my wisdom teeth. He slipped and stabbed me inside my throat.. while awake. My throat was bleeding for weeks. I called Morgan & Morgan just to ask for some advice due to it possibly disabling my vocal cords.. she told me I better not do anything to that doctor because she knows him. She then called the doctor and told him. When I went in the next time, he treated me very weird.. I can't even believe Morgan & Morgan. My vocal cords are my career. I can't risk that.

She isnt allowed to do that whatsoever. she just broke a law to protect her "friend". that lawyer should of told you soon as you mentioned the dentists name, she should of told you that she cant do it and to move you onto another lawyer. Again she is breaking lawyer to client confidentiatly and she could very much lose her licence over this. id suggest taking this up with her bosses and filing a serious complaint to the bar which is an organization that gives lawyers the right to do certain things in a court and such.

Mungolikecandy 19

As Sam Siggers states, she broke the law by doing that. I hope you reported her for it.

samomaha 17

You went back to the dentist? I mean, WHAT?!?

Why the heck would you GO BACK? Or get another lawyer at that practice? Or ANY other lawyer? If there's a conflict of interest she should have moved you to another partner/firm. Her informing your Dentist is illegal, even if your meeting was just a consultation.

thisshtissad 11

I only went back to get the suction device he never ended up giving me. Yah.. this all happened in 2014. I wish I would have done something then. How do you slip, and stab someone as a doctor.. am I the first one? And I will never ask Morgan & Morgan to ever help me again. I wish I would have told on them but I had no idea who to tell.

First off, he hasn't got a leg to stand on if what you said of him is true. Second, even if what you said is false (in which case bad on you, but I give benefit of the doubt to you here) he still has to prove a financial or other type of loss of significant value to actually get anything. Third, he called you after seeing the review on an anonymous review site, so why was he monitoring that site?

Change the review. Add a half a point and edit it. Say it’s his participation trophy. Clearly he wants credit for being in the room.

Don’t take it down. He takes you to court make sure you have a copy of your phone call statement and they’ll see he called you. He’ll lose all credibility. Don’t back down.

He wouldn’t have a leg to stand on, he is just trying to string arm you because he knows you have mental stability issues. Keep the review up and intact put up another review about the threat. He sounds like a real shit ****.

Yes indeed, he hopes to use the patient's vulnerabilities to his advantage, a total shitcunt.

i’ve been listening to Dr. Death lately and i’m scared for you now

booknerd42 0

Say that you will edit it over text, or something that can be recorded easily, and edit it to say how they tried to sue you.