Quack quack quack

By mikki_arlert - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - Australia - Melbourne

Today, my mother threatened my psychiatrist with legal action because he told her the organic and herbal "medicine" she swears by don't actually "cure" mental illness like she claims. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 900
You deserved it 771

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like she's the one that needs a psychiatrist !

So sorry you have to go through that. Ignorance does this.. And especially to people who don't want to learn and remain ignorant. It can be so damaging to one's life. It's insane. If only they knew that "medicine" is just purified "herbs" anyway.

Comments

Sounds like she's the one that needs a psychiatrist !

I'm so sorry you have to go through with that, OP. My uncle suffers with mental illness and for the longest time his wife thought herbs and prayer would cure him. It wasn't until they were married 5 years and he went on a manic high she realized he needs professional help. Hopefully your mother will come around.

So sorry, actual medicine is what we need sometimes, not just natural, not saying that natural medicine isn't real. I'm just saying we need the meds that were made to deal with it! Best of luck!

Well pretty much all medicine is natural to some degree. But yes sometimes we need actual medicine and not just the placebo effect from thinking some herbal remedies actually do anything.

Plant-based medicine isn't placebo--we're still exploring medicinal uses of a lot of common plants, which is how we found out about St. John's Wort and marijuana. It's just not very well-studied or very strong medicine, so it's usually a good idea to try pills first, and use other medicines to supplement. You also VERY much have to research the effects and what people say about it, and learn to filter the religious claims from the scientific, so it's not something you should be working on unless you're willing to do a lot of research on how your disorders work.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

So sorry you have to go through that. Ignorance does this.. And especially to people who don't want to learn and remain ignorant. It can be so damaging to one's life. It's insane. If only they knew that "medicine" is just purified "herbs" anyway.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Wtf does this even mean? Mental health drugs can literally make every symptom of mental illnesses away sometimes?

As long as you take them, and hoping their effectiveness doesn't diminish. They don't "cure" any mental disorders, they merely treat them.

I agree that meds usually help, but they sometimes dont help enough, or they have severe side effects. Schizophrenia, for example, has meds that treat some of the symptoms (usually only positive but sometimes negative symptoms as well), but they have severe side effects such as diabetes.

You all should just get down with the sickness

Yourheadache 19

time to have an educational talk with her.

Assuming she is the patient, this is not unusual behavior and he should know how to handle this. Don't feel bad unlesd you drove her crazy...

Its says its Op's psychiatrist, meaning their mother wants to sue ops psychiatrist for wanted op to take mental health medication and not their mother's "treatments"

cutie64840 2

Nor does the meds he will prescribe.