You got lawyered

By fckmylife - 20/12/2016 19:47

Today, I found out that I'm being sued for posting on Facebook about a customer service experience with a local company. Even though we have witnesses, the owners of the store claim that we're lying about the whole thing and that we're "malicious". FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 192
You deserved it 715

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ApparentlyNotEno 28

If you're in the United States, this is no longer legal, and the case can be thrown out (and/or you can countersue). Look up the Consumer Review Fairness Act of 2016. If you're outside the States, ymmv, but check the local laws. There's probably something that protects you. In any case, most jurisdictions protect any written or verbal expression as long as it's true - libel and slander only apply if what you've said is untrue. I think you can also countersue for defamation or something similar. (I'm not a solicitor myself, so I can't say for certain.) Talk to an attorney - if the lawsuit is frivolous or punitive, most times you can even have your attorney's fees paid for by the losing party (but - and this is important - you have to ASK the court for that sort of relief). Seriously, engage a lawyer, and don't back down from these bullies.

Comments

Just fight them in court. They'll pay the expenses of lawyers

well make sure to get a good lawyer and get your witnesses in order and you should win.

drayloon 50

If your witness agree to testify in your favor, you shouldn't have much of a problem. Go kick some ass

Fight them in court, if you have witnesses and proof they will have to pay court costs

Can you refuse to participate in it? No one has time to have time wasted over some immature business owner, nor the money if you're just an average Joe.

That depends on the nature of the case. Not all cases require you to actually be present, you can have your lawyer represent you without you being there.

if you're honestly telling the truth, you have nothing to worry about

I don't think you can do that here. There is no question of who did what here, so you have no grounds to sue them for anything...

Money lost from taking time off work, emotional distress

tounces7 27

Not to mention for your lawyers fee.

Or they can counter sue on false charges as well

I'm kinda curious as to what you said that was so bad they think they have a court case. (Though I'm not necessarily saying YDI.)

So in other words you'll have a day of your life wasted over something stupid. That does suck.

The strongest defence against a defamation case is veritas. You can't be sued for libel if what you say is true. As long as the witness testifies in your favour (or you can prove what you said to be true) then the company will lose their case.