Is it slander or libel?

By Anonymous - 10/08/2019 00:01

Today, I posted a review, on a strictly anonymous site, about a doctor I went to see for my anxiety but who actually made me worse. A while later, the same doctor called my home phone, addressed me by my full name and threatened to sue me for slander if I didn't take down the review. All of which was 100% true. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 577
You deserved it 191

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CLEARLY the doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. First of all, slander is defamation that is spoken, not written. What he's thinking of is actually called libel. As you know, truth is a defense to defamation, so as long as the things you've stated in your review were accurate and specific, or were an opinion, I wouldn't worry too much. As always, don't ignore a lawsuit if served lest a default judgement be issued against you, but again I wouldn't be too concerned. The fact that the site was anonymous and he was able to correctly ascertain who you were seems to be a good indication that what you wrote was accurate.

TrashlifeKaylala 12

Sue him back for some kind of malpractice or harassment?

Comments

What creeps me out the most is that he somehow knew you posted the review even though it was anonymous... eeeeek...

If you are genuinely worried, this is meant to reassure you! Under these facts, he can't win a case for libel (doesn't mean he can't sue, file an answer/denial pro se if he sues but I think it is unlikely). Google "wilson advisorlaw 10th circuit" for a similar and actually much worse fact pattern where the poster was ultimately held not liable for false advertising (issued on August 15, 2019 from the federal 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 18-1441). Good luck!

he has no grounds to sue. and if he manages to, counter sue him and make sure you sue for court fees and lawyer fees as well.