Ironic, isn't it?

By dammit - 09/06/2009 12:16 - United States

Today, my father's company shut down his branch, leaving him without a job. This is followed by a letter from my school's financial aid office, saying I'm not getting a penny because my family's income level is too high. FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 504
You deserved it 3 112

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You can appeal by showing proof that your dad lost his job. Happened to me.

Yeah write them a letter explaining things.

Comments

ducttape89 0

today, i spent 5seconds reading a pointless fml. FML

proud_liberal 0

Boo hoo another crybaby rich republican. The only one I feel kind of sorry for is your dad for being laid off. How it is legal for companies to lay off people in today's economy I will never know. Obama needs to make that illegal asap before anymore jobs are lost!!!

#13, your family can earn loads but you can still be short of money. In the UK, if your parents earn under a certain amount, you get paid Education Maintenance Allowance, ranging from £10 to £30 a week if you stay in school after compulsary education past the age of 16. In my first year of post-16 education, I was refused EMA, because the government said my parents earned too much money, despite the fact we were under threat to have our house reposessed and we had our car taken off us because we didn't have enough money to pay off the loads we had. OP: Phone them up or write them a letter or something. They'll be willing to help if you explain the situation.

lenahope19 0

You can send a letter to the financial aid office and give proof that he lost his job. It makes you more eligible to get aid, but you still might not get any. :-/ It's worth a shot. And I worked in a financial aid office and those letters usually got approved for aid.

Everyone is right, have your dad get his unemployment paperwork together and then go to the financial aid office with the papers (and your parents, if possible).

husk3rfan9287 0

#53, you can't legislate a company's employment practices. Here's a thought if you want to create jobs, find the illegal immigrants taking American jobs and deport them, that will create plenty of jobs it's so simple it's logical, but i guess liberals like you don't use logic. Also if he was so rich why would he have bothered to apply for financial aid in the first place?

I'm in the same boat. And no you can't "just resolve these things" actually.

I imagine that most of the people doing the bashing here either 1) have never been in college or 2) were trust fund babies. For one, to get a student loan, even private banks may want to see the FAFSA - because some of us poor people just don't have $10,000 laying around the minute the school wants it. Even completely need-based grants (like the Pell) will barely cover tuition. I've filled out the exact form previously mentioned - please do so, as it would be a shame to lose needed help just because of bad timing.

PollySighDevil 0

nobody needed to say anything after the 1st comment... that explained it all... at ASU they have a form specifically for your situation, when there is a change in income, financial aid is adjusted to fit your need... this is kind of a silly FML, just fix the problem it's pretty simple

This happened to me too! I couldn't get enough financial aid for law school because my dad had an $80,000 a year job that he lost right before I started to apply for aid. Sometimes they'll ask for evidence that a parent had been fired and didn't have a new job, but apparently I didn't have sufficient evidence.