Free healthcare, now!

By Anonymous - 13/08/2021 10:02

Today, I flew to America for my dad's funeral. I broke my vials of insulin and went to a pharmacy for a refill. No one told me they charge for insulin in America. One vial cost 270 dollars, the funeral is three days away and after booking a hotel, I have 6 dollars to feed myself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 823
You deserved it 216

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I am sorry that the USA’s healthcare system costs was such a shock to you. I hope that someone in your family is able to help you out with the costs. As bad as this was for you, the FML is really for those of us born into this ridiculous healthcare system. We have to either have expensive health insurance and co-insurance (insurance that covers the cost your primary insurance doesn’t pay) and expensive co-pays or be stuck paying the full price for all medical procedures and prescriptions. I have read that one of the biggest causes of bankruptcy in the USA is a major medical emergency in the family.

Comments

Yes, just let everyone else pay for your things. Good call.

ive paid my NI contributions all my working life. So not letting anyone pay for it

That's how it's done in the civilized countries. People pay a small sum for health insurance every month for when someone is in need, he wouldn't need to pay hundreds of thousands which he probably doesn't have.

If you’re working and paying your tax/national insurance, then you’re contributing to the running costs of the NHS and not actually “letting everyone else” pay for it.

UniUni 16

Yes, because a person from a different continent is supposed to know how things work over here

They have family here.... ignorance is no excuse, especially because it is a father.

Your social security could perhaps cover you.

Surely, your dad's life insurance will cover the cost. Apparently, everyone here has life insurance. There are no other grieving relatives who can feed you?

I am sorry that the USA’s healthcare system costs was such a shock to you. I hope that someone in your family is able to help you out with the costs. As bad as this was for you, the FML is really for those of us born into this ridiculous healthcare system. We have to either have expensive health insurance and co-insurance (insurance that covers the cost your primary insurance doesn’t pay) and expensive co-pays or be stuck paying the full price for all medical procedures and prescriptions. I have read that one of the biggest causes of bankruptcy in the USA is a major medical emergency in the family.

Diabetes is awful for those who live in the US. Insulin prices are a constant struggle. It breaks my heart to know that loved ones are having such a hard time affording something they desperately need.

randybryant799 20

You don't even live in this country and you somehow thought you would get free drugs? That makes no sense. Why in the world would they be free?

Because it's life saving maybe? And should be accessible to all. And not thousands percent overpriced.

pink unicorn 7

because they are free (or almost, like a few bucks, if you are not resident) everywhere in Europe.... makes perfect sense for all Europeans... 270$ for à life saving drug? you are not chocked?! So if you are poor you just die? what a disgusting mentality

Nhayaa2.0 17

I think it's more about the price than having to pay for it, really. Prices in the US are crazy. Some meds and medical care are sometimes 10 times higher than in Europe. In here, health is not a free market.

ah yes the country where if you have to go to the hospital you have to sell 2 kidneys and a lung to afford it

TruthSoothsayer 3

If you happen to be in Portland, OR and have the same type of insulin I will give you a vial or two. Just switched to the pen.