Elaborate

By ehxtraordinarily pissed - 13/12/2014 18:36 - United States - Coweta

Today, my Canadian friend is staying a few days at my parents' house. I drove him from the airport, only to find my idiot dad had decked the spare room out with maple syrup bottles. He keeps saying "Eh" all the time and asked "What's he so upset aboot?" when my friend was offended. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 026
You deserved it 3 392

Same thing different taste

Top comments

*gets offended* I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to offend me. Canadians.

Your dad needs to work on his hospitality.

Comments

Dude that's a joke nothing to be offended aboot lol yeah I'm Canadian and I say eh all the time!

I think you should speak to your Father that he's being rude toward their guest, they're making fun of him and that's not cool. I genuinely don't understand why someone would behave that way toward their guest, you're supposed to make them feel welcome...

Because it's not his guest but his sons guest. And he has a good sense of humour. But one which can get annoying after a while i think.

Steve95401 49

Your dad should have filled the room with Tim Horton's and Molson's. Donuts and beer might have made your friend feel welcome.

ber4fun 23

Your dad has a great sense of humor, if I was your friend I'd laugh about it with your dad.

Im canadian and I would of thought that was hilarious! except ive never heard a Canadian say aboot...stupid southpark

As a Canadian, I can't help but think, "Maple syrup is so expensive. Did your dad spend thousands of dollars just to 'deck out' the room in maple syrup?". Seriously, it's like $9.99 for a small bottle.

You can get it cheaper than that if you're willing to buy black market. Remember the Great Maple Syrup Heist of 2012? ;)

Haha indeed. How could one forget such a devastating and tragic event. Maple syrup reserves, depleted. Oh, the pain.

ber4fun 23

Maple syrup is a lot cheaper here in the United States. You can get a small bottle for around $2.99.

Blasphemy! Is it 100% real though? The syrup I buy is collected maybe 60 miles away from where I live. Not to be a hipster or anything.

iAmPaul 49

I'm pretty sure "small" is being defined a bit too loosely in the above comments...

Where? I can't find it for less than $6.

Don't forget there is a difference in Canadian and U.S. dollars.

I like your dad he has a sense of humor

Why does your dad have that many spare maple syrup bottles?

How many people would be saying "Your Dad has a great sense of humor" if it were a case of a Chinese friend coming over and the Dad wearing a rice hat, cooked only rice for dinner, and was speaking mock-chinese? He's taking stereotypes about a country, and applying it as part of an individual's character as a first, last, and only impression. That's not being funny. That's saying "This is all I'm going to see you as while you're here!" And to those who would not be offended in this case? Good for you. But just because you do not get bothered something doesn't mean everyone doesn't. Nobody likes generalizations.

I would. Especially if most Chinese were good natured and didn't get offended at that sort of joke. Which is clearly all it is.

Good for you. But, again, there are plenty of people who do not like these jokes--especially as a first impression. If your first impulse to meet someone of another country is to label them a stereotype before your howdy-dos, you're an asshole.

I am Canadian and I have gone on vacation in Florida, when hanging out with a group of locals, they started asking me if I live in an igloo and if my dad is a lumberjack.. my reaction was to play it up with the stereotypical accent and tell them about my pet beaver. Canadians in general are good natured and if they get offended by something like that they are the exception to the rule.

ber4fun 23

Do keep in mind that Canadian is not a race. Mannerisms and someones racial background are two different things.

It's still stereotyping based on said mannerism. But to be fair, here's a new example based on stereotyping mannerisms of a general group of people. I am blonde irl. I am also female. I am quite intelligent and willing to learn when there is something I don't know. I do not like shopping, I do not like pink, I do not like feminine clothes, and the only time you'll see me on my phone is checking the time. I also speak pretty flatly with few patterns to my speech that I know of. If I were to be visiting a friend's family for the first time only for them to me in a mock-Valley Girl mannerism, invite me to go shopping for more make up and clothes, and talk to me like I'm too stupid to know what a computer is, I'd be pretty ******* pissed that that's all they see me as. Before we even get to know each other. I have gotten this from my own ******* family. If /you/ as an individual find it funny when it happens to you, that is /fine/ and dandy. But overall, that should not be the first behavior you exhibit when you meet someone you literally have /no/ history with, and have no idea what their own sense of humor is like until they have exhibited it themselves. So yeah. Bad move on the Dad's part. Worst move over the fact that he can't put 2 and 2 together that he's being an offensive prick by pinning nothing but stereotype on this person he's just met.

Generalising about race can be offensive when you call someone a dirty Polak for example. It's exacerbated by the fact that you're insulting somebody you deem to be your inferior. Here, there's nothing offensive about maple syrup (in fact it's one of the most wonderful things ever to exist, I'd have pocketed the lot!) and Canadians are clearly not inferior to Americans. So chill!

Attacksloth 33

I'd find it pretty funny, and I'm Canadian. I actually live so far up north that it snows 6-7 months of the year. Your dad kind of overdid it though if your friend was clearly offended. My father in law does this sort of thing to me all the time - he'll keep pushing a joke if it annoys me, and then yells at me for getting upset because "it's only a joke, lighten up." Jokes are two-way.