Deranged

By LightsOut - 21/05/2013 22:47 - United States - Melbourne

Today, and throughout the past week, my electricity, water, cable, and Internet were progressively shut off. Why? Because my deranged mother-in-law has been stealing the money orders I use to pay my bills out of my mailbox. She also stole the late notices because she didn't want me to be "mad". FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 937
You deserved it 3 408

Same thing different taste

Comments

bootytoo 14

I hope you made her pay you back or at least call the cops..

panwere22 7

Go paperless then she can't steal the money orders, or mail them from one of the post office pick up containers.

Exactly what I was thinking! All of my bills, besides rent, are paid online via paperless billing. OP possibly had this option available since they had internet service (not to mention theres paper with E-bill too). Albeit some people don't have a checking account, most credit card companies offer debit card accounts and theres bill pay at chain/grocery stores... FYL indeed OP! Id definitely would be looking into pressing charges; no matter how difficult that will be.

I pay everything thru my bank account.

I'm Canadian, and I used to work for an American company and it used to blow my mind how many people don't have a bank account. I've had the same one for 13 years since I was 10 and another for 5 years. Its very rare you hear a Canadian not having an account

I've lived in Canada most of my life and haven't had a bank account since I got myself into credit card trouble in college.

Felony mail tampering and interception. Just throwing that out there, OP.

mzdaisylynn 12

From now on, drop off your bills in a public mailbox or the post office.

That is a good general rule when dealing with money or gift cards anyway. One of the reasons social security is going direct deposit or debit card only is because of people raiding mailboxes for checks. It's actually a quite common occurrence. Though I imagine its not usually the mother in law. Got to love how quick some family will screw you over.

larsak 3

Get your dad to break up with her. Set them up and make it look like she was cheating

mother-in-law = the OPs spouses mother, not their own mother. OP, I'd talk to your spouse and see what they have to say, and if they act like they don't care, then you should take this matter into your own hands and do what you need to do.

That should be a federal offense... I could be wrong though.

Actually, it /is/ a federal offense. Tampering with federal mail. It's very illegal to open other people's mail or go into other people's mail boxes.

I'm sorry you have to deal with such a nutjob.

Never get married unless you know everything about the person you are marrying because you do not want to find out too late that your wife(or husband) has an unattractive habit or does something illegal thinking nothing is wrong with it. It is illegal to steal mail from people.

Yeah, my mother-in-law is a really annoying habit. I tried to break my partner from that habit, but apparently what I had in mind was considered manslaughter.

So... Apparently we missed the fact that it was the mother in law doing this, not the spouse...? Btw, 23, that was brilliant! Lol

Can't you get her arrested for that? At least then you can get back your power and install a state of the art mailbox whilst she's in custody

That's a plan well thought of. Though, that's not cool.