Crimefighters

By Anonymous - 03/07/2009 19:56 - Canada

Today, I was at the park with a friend when I said, "Gotta go, sorry. I've got court in an hour." The lady on the bench next to us then loudly complained how disgusting I was for being a criminal and threw her bird seed at me, dirtying my suit. I'm a lawyer with a case in an hour, not a criminal. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 389
You deserved it 3 874

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Cheezburger_fml 0

Crazy ladies in the park always have bird seed to throw. FYL

Comments

Sounds fake to me. Anyone who wears a suit on a regular basis knows not only how to dust it off, but the magic of tape to pull off lint or most dry loose debris. How much residue could have been left on the suit, where it couldn't be dusted off. Now, depending on the jurisdiction, she could have been held criminally liable. Her actions could have been assault (the threat of of a physical attack) and battery (the physical attack). As defined in my state, battery is "intentionally touches or strikes another person, without that person’s consent; or Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person." It does not need to be a brutal touching. Simply touching someone's arm or shoulder can be considered battery. Consent does not have to be a negative response like "Don't touch me." It can be inferred, such as the victim obviously did not want to be shoved, punched, stabbed, shot, or have bird seen thrown at them. For my jurisdiction, it was explained as follows. "I'm going to hit you." is assault. "I'm going to hit you with this limp noodle." is aggravated assault. Hitting the person is battery. Hitting the person with the limp noodle is aggravated battery. Here, the last example is a second degree felony, punishable by up to 15 years in state prison and/or a $10,000 fine. It would have to be proven that the defendant knew the victim was allergic to limp noodles, as the weapon must be a deadly weapon. Other objects are not specifically defined by law, but are up to the interpretation of the courts. A book can be a deadly weapon, just as a telephone, lamp, brick, knife, or gun can be. Now, finding an officer willing to arrest the lady and charge her will be rather unlikely. More than likely she could have been charged with disorderly conduct, and would be released ROR, and on court day, she would be given a short probation. Assuming she did not have any other criminal problems during the probation period, she'd be fine. You'd be amazed how many people are in jail for VOP (Violation Of Probation), and not for their original charge. Depending on how strict the probation officer is, a VOP can be anything from a simple traffic ticket for running a stop sign (disobeying a traffic control device), or not signaling for a lane change. If they're really "out to get you", it could be an odd coincidence where an officer catches you J-walking on the way to the court house. It is well know, a traffic cop can follow anyone. If they follow them long enough, they can and will be ticketed for something legitimate. I received a "careless driving" ticket once, because I wouldn't speed up to get away from an aggressive driver behind me (the cop), on a long empty highway late at night. The charge was dropped by the judge, but if I had been on probation, that charge would be enough to put in me in jail for VOP. The VOP charge would be dropped with time served, if and when I beat the traffic ticket, but you're usually looking at 6 months to be seen by a judge. But, a real lawyer would have known all of this, and called up a friendly cop to deal with her if he was so bent out of shape over it. A public park, presumably near the courthouse, it shouldn't be hard to find a law enforcement officer. They not only patrol the area because of the chance of a potential dispute between parties in cases being heard, but they have to show up to court to testify.

Ravemaster7 0

wow, no one ******* cares about your 5 paragraph essay comment. The guy's allowed to talk about 'dirtying his suit' without being accused of bullshitting this story. These aren't about having your life ruined, they're about getting pissed or upset for a bit. I'm sure it came off, but he left the detail in because it was part of what pissed him off. PS not everyone who wears a suit knows how to clean it, trust me.

It seems to me that you've forgotten that this dude was at a park about to go to court. Thus, chances are he wouldn't have tape on him...

Xader 0

Um... isn't the statement "released ROR" redundant?

iluvtwilight 0

that's when you tell the lady that YOU'RE THE LAWYER. what you just took her telling you off and left? second, i thought u had to go. if you had to go, why did u sit there and let her through bird seed on you?

Really, though. If she'd known you were a lawyer, would her reaction have been any different?

HeyThereGorgeous 0

Your a lawyer you should have sued her!!!