By Why - 18/12/2018 05:00

Today, I finally went to have blood taken for an allergy test I really need. Afterwards, I had an allergic reaction to the bandaid they used on my arm. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 394
You deserved it 155

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jellenwood 35

I had one of those allergy tests too. They told me I had a skin condition that shows I’m allergic to everything on those tests but I’m really not. So, I still don’t know what I’m allergic to.

Wouldn't they have covered latex or rubber or whatever the bandaid was made of in the test?

Comments

jellenwood 35

I had one of those allergy tests too. They told me I had a skin condition that shows I’m allergic to everything on those tests but I’m really not. So, I still don’t know what I’m allergic to.

Wouldn't they have covered latex or rubber or whatever the bandaid was made of in the test?

Well, we found one of the things you are allergic to. Baby steps, I suppose.

rhee 1

I feel you. Was it the adhering part? I ended up testing oh so positive to synthetic resin and every sticky product will make my skin have bad eczema for weeks and blisters in worse cases. The dermatologist was surprised when she peeled off the tapes holding the test patches on my back.

j10 4

Welcome to the club...only I am also allergic to the alcohol that they would use for the blood draw.

Welcome to latex allergies. We hate it here. Make sure to have benadryl handy most places. Especially if you are like me and the reaction gets worse every time.

Same thing happened to an acquaintance. She drive 5h to the clinic, laid there for a couple hours while they painstakingly pricked samples over most of her back (I had my allergy tests on my inner arm, but she's got a LOT of allergies so I assume she was given a much larger array of samples which wouldn't fit on the arms), and then turned into a mass of blisters, swelling, hives & rashes that took ages to heal, necessitating a whole second trip to the city to try again. It was not that they'd used latex bandages (surely an allergist would avoid latex religiously?) but something in the adhesive of the "low risk" bandages. She learned that day that she can't trust "hypoallergenic" products.

boredgirl_02 14

Yeah, I’m allergic to bandaid glue too