By why does the world hate me - 01/03/2016 06:23 - Canada - Toronto

Today, my sister got her car insurance quote in the mail. You would think it would go way up after being charged with reckless driving. It went up $1 per month. My insurance went up $100 per month after I tapped someone's bumper a year ago. I wasn't even charged. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 547
You deserved it 1 669

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Let's just say that it really depends on the person. The credit score and claims history is most important. It also depends on the quality of the insurance company. I'm Jake and I work at State Farm.

What car insurance does she have? I want it!

Comments

What car insurance does she have? I want it!

Trust me when I say that in Insurance.... Cheaper is not always better! Quality coverage is so much better than cheap prices in the event of a loss.

It's very possible that her car insurance was sky high to start with, and the accident made a minimal difference to her claims history

If your insurance is high and you mess up, it tends to skyrocket more, even with minimalistic issues.

Insurance companies sure know how to milk every cent out of you... Sorry bud that crap sucks! Mine is still at 260 a month!!!!

That's crazy high! But it's also because you're an 18 year old male. In a few years it'll go down.

That is true but I would think that having good grades and an impeccable driving record would make it a little less prominent...

Seriously? That's is really expensive. For my motorcycle I pay 150€ a year that's including road taxes

You'd think that #12, but it's rarely the case. Most insurance companies also compare the time, in years, spent driving. The less time you have with a license the higher they hike your rates.

I just got my g2 and my insurance is I believe just over 200$. And that's for just starting out

damn... I'm 19 and paying 120 a month

#2 I've been driving for almost 8 years, nothing on my record and insurance on my own plan would be $300+. There's a reason I had my stepdad cosign my loan so I had to be on his plan where it's only $50 a month. Insurance rates are ridiculous.

And I'm just on full coverage for a normal car. If I want a Subaru STI it goes up exponentially!!!!

Mines 135$ a month, I'm 25 and have a charger. it was 190$ before I turned 25. Also an immaculate record.

Let's just say that it really depends on the person. The credit score and claims history is most important. It also depends on the quality of the insurance company. I'm Jake and I work at State Farm.

katachristic 19

Unfortunately it also depends on gender and age. Males under 25 get higher rates.

yea. even though every teenage girl driver I've known is ridiculously crazy behind the wheel

Don't forget, you actually hit another vehicle, regardless of whether there was damage or not. If you are male, that makes a difference too.

spacefish966 18

If you're a dude ages 16-24 your insurance rates will always be extremely higher than a female driver. One of many ways dudes take it up the ass because of risk factors.

JudgeComrade 17

Tickets often don't show up on a person's insurance for some time. If a claim was filed on your 'bumper tap' then of course that showed up immediately.

They probably care more about ACTUAL claims like the one that was likely filed after you hit someone, than they do about hypothetical claims that might come as a result of reckless driving. It's also possible that it just hasn't hit her yet--she may see a jump in the future.

I'd call and bitch them out (with kindness) insurance can be negotiated a lot of the time it's not set stone my parents did when my dad got a ticket he called and the lowered it by a lot they where over charging like crazy.

Are you a guy? And do you drive a two door sports car? If either of these are yes (at least in the US), ANY type of incident will skyrocket your insurance.

My insurance went down after I had my accident in November. But yeah, accident history credit score and a slew of other factors, including car are taken into account for this kind of thing.