By kfeath1 - 01/03/2016 05:36

Today, while working as a hostess in a restaurant, an old lady complained to the manager that I was on heroin because she could see all the track marks on my arms. I was actually fighting a staph infection and the "track marks" were where my IV had been placed. My manager told me to cover it up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 301
You deserved it 1 577

kfeath1 tells us more.

kfeath1 8

Wow! This is my FML and I can't get over the number of comments! What happened was my staph infection was on the inside of my body...to look at me I looked absolutely normal. I didn't handle any food, just sat people at their tables. So those of you who are judging...relax; no contamination was given. And I had a port in my arm that I had hidden, but couldn't pull my sleeve down over because it was so big. As for the lady, she just wanted something to complain about. She saw the spots where the port had been and just wanted to complain about it. My manager should have stood up for me, but he didn't and instead decided to tell me that a person complained and I needed to heed what she said. It was a ridiculous time and I'm glad I'm healthy again.

Top comments

I hate people like that. At least you still have a job! My boss fired someone who had surgery and the IV left a mark. A customer complained and out the poor guy went.

At least your manager understood. But I know people like that are so annoying.

Comments

I hate people like that. At least you still have a job! My boss fired someone who had surgery and the IV left a mark. A customer complained and out the poor guy went.

ChristianH39 30

The five words to make anybody who's ever worked with any kind of customer cringe.

In reply to #28, I live in Ohio, which has an at-will employment system, so you can be fired for any reason. The system sucks, but it isn't changing anytime soon

At will systems can still get sued for improper termination, especially if the reason is against the law or slander. if someone does a back ground check and sees that a person was fired due to supposed drug addiction, they may not be hired. Therefore, you could sue for.. maybe libel, slander, or defamation of character.

At least your manager understood. But I know people like that are so annoying.

LalapaloozaChick 14

the conclusions people jump to can be insane at times.

well your manager is right, the customer is king

more like the customer is the King Asshole.

The customer is an incompetent asshole that needs a good smack upside the head.

It isn't your fault you needed IV, some old people can be quite rude and abrupt sometimes. Sorry op.

CliffyB03 28

I once got yelled at because I didn't tell a woman to have a good day. (She saw a baby and stopped, while I took her husband to the booth) She didn't deserve to have a good day after that.

She didn't deserve to have a good day because she stopped to see a baby? What?

I think she means she was busy so she didn't tell the woman to have a nice day so the woman got upset

I think she means the lady didn't want to sit near a noisy baby.

CliffyB03 28

The lady stopped to play with the baby. I didn't know whether to stand there awkwardly to wait to tell her to enjoy her day or just tell her husband to have a good day.

Well at least you have a good boss who understands but seriously that is none of that woman's business what is going on with you

Wait, you're still at work with a staph infection?

I don't think she has the infection anymore because the way the FML is worded it says "I was actually fighting a staph infection," which is in past tense. It's just the marks from the IV are still there because they probably just recovered from it recently.

last time i had an IV it took over a week for the mark to clear up (even longer if the person putting in the needle is bad at their job lol) so it could be that.

They might not be bad at their job. Sometimes veins just don't cooperate, and it's harder if there's any dehydration or if the veins are roly-poly.

When I had to have blood drawn from the inside of my elbows (is there a word for that?) I had huge bruises and marks for weeks.

that's true #24, that's my bad. i had a student doctor who really was terrible at putting in needles once (the doctor in charge was like ... oh dear) and it bruised so bad so i was thinking of ones like that.

I have track marks from donating blood. There are a plethora of reasons someone may have track marks. Unless the wounds are oozing over the customer, it is none of anyone's business.

aliciousness116 16

Foolish customer. At least your boss was understanding about it. :)

In all honesty you should not be working with a staph infection. Very dangerous