By singleasapringle - 13/03/2016 06:41 - United States - Brooklyn

Today, I went back to my high school for an event with some of my friends, both of which are in relationships. Whilst there we saw our favorite teacher, who hugged us and said, "I heard you have a boyfriend! And so do you!" And then she turned to me and said, "And... And you're doing great things!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 938
You deserved it 1 843

Same thing different taste

Top comments

KayleeFrye 39

I hate how so many people seem to think that having a relationship is the most important thing. Yes, it is nice to have a romantic partner. But just because someone doesn't have one doesn't make them some kind of loser!

nonsensical 26

Don't take it to heart! So many people are single! Nothing wrong with it, I'm sure your old teacher felt super awkward after she realized she had nothing to say right off the bat about you

Comments

Your relationship status shouldn't define you. Be who you are not who people want you to be.

katina1236 20

Nothing wrong with being single. It gives you a chance to get yourself in order before upsetting the balance and adding someone to your life. Wether you're in a relationship doesn't define you. Just keep doing you OP

ouijacorn 9

Frankly, I'd be more insulted if the only positive thing a person could say about me is: "you finally snagged yourself a man!" I think that teacher should get back in her time machine and go on back to the '50s.

Why is she so excited about that? I don't get why she would bring that up unless they were engaged or something. You'd think she'd care more about their other accomplishments.

well that's just silly. a teacher congratulating (judging) you based on wether or not you have a relationship

Honestly the teacher probably doesn't care who does or doesn't have a boyfriend and was just making polite conversation.

You just go on and do great things with or without a romantic partner. A relationship does not define you.

I find it odd that a former teacher was so informed on the personal lives of his former students to know their relationship status. However, a relationship shouldn't define a person's success or happiness in life, defining yourself by one person has a chance of ending badly. If the most interesting thing about a person is "I heard you had a boyfriend/girlfriend" that's pretty boring. A relationship should be an addition to your life, not the entirety of it, and even then, a relationship is never a requirement in life anyway.

I, and a lot of teachers I know, are Facebook friends with a lot of former students. Also, because I have so many former students on my Facebook feed, I do get them a little confused sometimes. If some of them came up to me in real life, I'd probably have a hard time remembering specifics about their current life and probably end up saying something generic like this, though I'd hope I'd mention something more substantial than them having a boyfriend.

You need a boyfriend or girlfriend for to be happy? Lol

Haha your friends aren't doing great things because they're drained of their time and money by their relationships