You've got mail

By Silentshdw13 - 14/03/2016 23:00 - United States - Arlington

Today, after moving back in with my parents, I found out they had held on to a chunk of mail still being sent during the time I had been changing my old address. Included was a summons to jury duty. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 830
You deserved it 1 427

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lksdliz 9

Unless it works way differently in Texas than California, mail it back to the court with a letter of explanation, and they will just assign you a new date to appear.

ProximityToDeath 20

Yikes! I hope you're not in too much trouble. I am surprised they didn't forward something that important to you. Good luck.

Comments

Donald Rumsfeld and the lizard council are on to you. Don't think they forgot .

They don't do anything they will send you a new one in a few months. They could never prosecute you because they have no proof you ever received it. The only way the could is if they sent it registered mail and you signed for it. Relax its no big deal!!

bubba3939 3

They can still charge you and be successful if they can prove you didn't change your address. it just happened to my friend here in MI.

Op stated it was during the transition period between houses, when the address was being changed. So op did update his address. Does the USPS do a forwarding service at all??

They don't register jury duty notices. They can't prove you ever received it, which you didn't.

911 my parents won't give me my mail. Lock them up in federal prison right now!!!!!

Just go to the court and when they ask you why you're there, say "isn't the hearing about (whatever it's about) today?"

Can someone explain why the have jury duty in America?

You're supposed to be tried in front of a jury of your peers, meaning a jury of a bunch of regular old jacks and jills.

I know what it is, but why do the do it?

ekc2018 11

It's supposed to make it fair

Not American so curious, what exactly is the "offence" for not showing / responding?

You can be fined anywhere from $100-$1000 for not responding to a notice(every state is different).

In Canada, if you don't show, they can issue a warrant for your arrest, and you get to pay a fine. The enforcement of this is few and far between. They say in Canada as a whole, about 1 in 5 don't show up. As for fighting if you got it or not, they can contact you and tell you you need to pick it up at the court house if you don't respond to the first one. Every province handles it a bit different though. TL;DR, a possible arrest warrant and/or fine.

If you never replied they assume you never got it. As long as you don't say anything you're fine!!

In Texas if you don't show up for your jury duty summon they excuse you. no penalty against you

they don't forward court related mail, my mother got the notice for my divorce when I moved recently