Trigger warning

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United Kingdom

Today, my annoying colleague gasped, wrapped her arms around herself, started sweating, and curled up in a ball crying, "No, no, no" in front of several customers. They accused me of "setting her off", when I blurted out, "Sorry, she gets panic attacks." All I did was say the word "abortion." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 310
You deserved it 6 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

rocker_chick23 27

You know what word gives me panic attacks? Mathematics.

Comments

lexiieeex3 32

Abortion is a pretty controversial topic and can hit home for some people. She could have been raped or known someone who died from a botched abortion or anything, really. You never know what someone else has been through. I understand why she got a panic attack but there's no way you could have known her trigger so I'm sorry you had to go through that OP.

"You're not thinking of getting an 'A word' are you???"

rocker_chick23 27

It doesn't matter. Abortion is legal whether you like it or not.

Clearly you've never seen the movie "Knocked Up."

rocker_chick23 27

Everyone I know who saw it said it sucked. Nope, haven't seen it, and I don't plan on ever seeing it

Okay, well, good for you, I guess. Still, you'd think given the quotation marks, you'd realize I was referencing something, and not asking a genuine question. It's a quote from a character who couldn't bare to even say the word "abortion." I thought that scene paralleled this FML pretty well.

cjwayy 22

That's mean. She probably has a mental illness. Certain things set me off too and I have panic attacks and episodes of detachment from reality. So don't just brush it off as "annoying". Talk to her.

There is also the possibility that Op thinks the coworker is annoying because of her personality and things she does and has nothing to do with the panic attacks.

Sorry but there's such things as triggers. Yes she may have been faking but abortions are very mentally straining and can cause horrific panic attacks.

Houston, We have a problem! Abort Abort Abort mission!

Well, to be honest, OP did not say that his colleague was annoying because of the panic attack. She seems to be annoying in general.

CanyonRose 16

She's either possibly guilted by having an abortion or pro life and the simple uttering of the word causes discomfort. Whatever it was that's quite an interesting reaction.

I don't think simply being pro-life would cause that reaction. Haven't you seen the online flame wars discussing abortion? Yeah, pro-life people don't have a problem with the word abortion--they use it all the time when they're calling it murder.

CanyonRose 16

A friend of mine won't speak to anyone if they use the word. She's very pro life and she just ignores people. Some people just decide the best way to show that they don't believe in it is to freak out. I wasn't generalizing saying that all pro life people do it. But some do.

I doubt it was just this one episode that caused OP to say she is annoying. She sounds like one of those people that stands out in front of abortion clinics with the signs and makes a huge scene when people go in. I'm sure she feels strongly about the topic but you have to keep it together when you are at work.

This doesn't sound like she's having an actual panic attack at all. She just sounds like an attention-seeking person. Panic attacks hit a little harder and freeze a person up, making them feel like their having a heart attack. She needs to seek help of a different sort or just get over the word abortion. I just hate when someone acts like they have a certain condition and lie about it to everyone just for attention.

illness and disorders effect different people differently. everyone handles or reacts diffrently. just because it effects them different then it does you does not mean they are fakeing. unless I show my scares, tell or you hear it from those that know you'd never know half the things I have.

Suaria 38

I think people experience panic attacks in different ways. I usually cry when I am having one. I still feel my heart pound really fast and feel like I can't breathe.

XBurytheCastleX 25

I know where she's coming from. My trigger words are scout, gabbie, and divorce. Each included something traumatic. Try to be understanding towards her, it's so difficult living with an anxiety disorder and then having people using your trigger words by accident... Just be easier on her please.

XBurytheCastleX 25

What are you people getting pissy about now?

My trigger words are vegetable, goggles, and dollar.