Trigger warning

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United Kingdom

Today, my annoying colleague gasped, wrapped her arms around herself, started sweating, and curled up in a ball crying, "No, no, no" in front of several customers. They accused me of "setting her off", when I blurted out, "Sorry, she gets panic attacks." All I did was say the word "abortion." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 310
You deserved it 6 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

rocker_chick23 27

You know what word gives me panic attacks? Mathematics.

Comments

If only you said what you meant to...but how exactly did you supposedly set her off is what I want to know

She does not sound like she's having a panic attack. She would be curled up into the fetus position, either on her feet or on her side, but she would be gasping for breath, not able to form any words, since she would be literally be too busy fighting for air in her lungs. I have not experienced any attacks, myself, but I've personally witnessed what they look like on several occasions. Sounds to me like she's more than just annoying.

Panic attacks affect people differently. I have them.. and I tend to sit up straight because it helps me slow down my breathing. Also, it's not me fighting to get the air, it's fighting to slow my breathing as it becomes way too fast, but I can manage small words. I cry and shake and occasionally pass out if it's really severe. The girl sounds valid to me.

ojoRojo 27

Ummm no. I’ve had panic disorder for as long as I remember and my panic attacks do not look like that. I’ve had panic attacks while teaching and performing where nobody else even knew I was having them.

Different people have different panic attacks. That sounds like the ones I used to have. She probably needs therapy if it's that bad.

Suaria 38

People who have mental disorders in this case an anxiety disorder are not nutcases. We are just like anyone else out there. Also anxiety disorders aren't going to cause you to go around killing people or seeing/hearing things that aren't there. You experience things that are very similar to heart attacks.

All the people saying she's "faking it". I highly doubt that. Perhaps it wasn't like the panic attacks you've seen/experienced in the past, and perhaps it wasn't even technically a panic attack, but curling up in a ball and crying in front of customers is clearly an indication that something is wrong. Just because it wasn't a panic attack, that doesn't mean she was "faking" or "attention seeking"

This is why people on tumblr should stay inside

Suaria 38

This doesn't have anything to do with tumblr. This is someone who has a mental illness that was triggered by something in their environment.

People can start sweating on demand in the space of a few seconds now? And how did the customers know about what sets her off?

Psycho_Babydoll 26

Well, at least you know that's a trigger warning for next time.