Tricky situation

By Anonymous - 14/05/2020 05:00

Today, my roommate in our barracks posted trans hate-speech on Facebook. My choices are to report him and risk ending his military career, confront him and risk him finding out I'm trans, or do nothing and live in fear of him figuring me out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 374
You deserved it 546

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bobsanction 18

It's not your duty to protect his career. Reporting him is your duty to your fellow military members, and to refuse to is to dishonor your uniform.

Follow your protocol. If it puts his military career at risk that’s all on him. Military don’t need people like him. You’ll be doing the right thing. Thank you for serving our country.

Comments

TomeDr 24

Remember that wearing that uniform is an honor, not a “right”. His actions dishonor the uniform. You need to report him.

If you think he has the potential to become violent towards yourself, or other trans people, then you need to report him. Living in fear should never be an option for anyone, and admitting you're trans without having support is going to make you vulnerable to whatever he would consider doing to you.

I don't know if he does. His speech was pretty incendiary, talking about how trans people don't/shouldn't exist and shouldn't be allowed to transition, but wasn't *overtly* violent. It didn't say particularly how he thought we should stop trans people from transitioning, though I can't see how that could be done without violence.

Pougfiddy 3

report him, if he wanted to not get reported he shouldntve done something that people would report

bl3ur0z3 17

Report him. He's the one ending his career, not you.

TorreyTurner 3
Puta Verga 0

There is no such thing as reporting someone in the military. U would b labeled as a snitch. Plus, nothing will be done because of his post. Article 15? Nope. Freedom of speech baby.

kt1973 3

Totally not true. If your wearing the uniform, and your comments go against the UCMJ, your help liable. Different standards. We’ve had a few at my command get put out for this very reason.

julfunky 29

No such thing? Obviously someone who has no idea how it works.

Suaria 38

Freedom of speech only protects you from the government. The government can't restrict your speech. It doesn't mean you are free from consequences. A job can still legally fire you for what you said and that isn't restricting your freedom of speech.

lifeis4me 20

This sounds fairly straightforward: report him and let him face the consequences of his actions, or reward him for his actions by allowing yourself and others in your community to live in fear and anxiety.

with all the facebook algorithms, I'm surprised they let it slide. but yeah, **** that guy and report him.