Too late

By Anonymous - 01/03/2015 13:31 - United Kingdom - Guildford

Today, while on the train heading to my new job, my coat caught between two seats. I didn't notice until my stop. I whacked myself in the face in front of everyone trying to get it free, and ended up missing my stop. When I finally got to work, I was told not to bother coming in again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 421
You deserved it 2 791

Same thing different taste

Top comments

sorry to hear that OP.... hope you can find another one.

Find another job. Everything happens for the best, ultimately.

Comments

Just one of those things where there's not a lot you could have done OP. Don't let it get you down and hopefully you'll find another job soon.

this is one fml, that truly deserves "i agree, your life sucks". sorry OP.

F public transportation, too expensive (when you include the taxes). Get a car

Maybe they can't afford a car. They are expensive and gas and repair adds up

THERMALSCOPES13 3

It's cool to own your own car though.

Sounds like my life...OP you have my utmost empathy. I'm one transit related lateness away from termination; my job starts at 6 and transit starts at like 4:30, which gives me a 35min gap where I need to catch a bus and a Skytrain so if I miss one I'm done and the next bus is 30 mins wait. And the stop is 15 mins walk from home.

tehdarkness 21

Vancouver does need 24 hour transit.

Mungolikecandy 19

Sounds like they have breeched UK employment law if you were only late once, even if you were on a probationary period in a new job.

tehdarkness 21

Always give yourself a ton of extra time on your first day. Anything can happen.

You live in Surrey, I mean you can't need work THAT badly...

I'm not sure how to decide on this one. Obviously you're not at fault for your coat catching the seats but on the other hand if this was your first day of work, why didn't you leave home extra early? If you only missed one stop, gotten on the next train back and continued along your way... You should always plan at least one train/bus ahead in case it's late/gets cancelled/whatever.

You don't know at what time the earlier bus comes for OP. I always try to do what you suggest bus that's only possible if you are travelling short area's, then you have multiple possibilities. When I followed higher education in a city far far away (not that far) I had only one train, the earlier one would be 1,5 hours earlier. Being 1,5 hours early because something might go wrong with the train that drops you off 30 minutes (-15 minute walk) early is beyond the call of duty. Even if a 15 minute delay is normal for trains. That being said, for the first day of work I would also be on that 1,5 hour early train.

Sorry to hear, hope everything works out soon