Tone police

By Firstborn - 16/05/2017 19:00 - Canada - Halifax

Today, I got into a major fight with my parents over my younger brother stealing from me. Their response was to get angry at me for my "tone" with them. My brother is 18 with an obvious drug problem, but my tone is the problem. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 269
You deserved it 273

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe they try to protect themselves from the real problem. It is easier to be mad at you than to acknowledge something that might shatter their world.

Comments

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Lock down what you can and remove anything from the home you can't. Safety deposit box if possible. Unfortunately this gets worst before it gets better especially if he's at the stealing from family and friends stage.

WeirdUS 29

How did you approach it? If you went in yelling and screaming it doesn't make you look good. Also, have evidence of your brother's drug problem. If you don't and they are clueless your claims and tone are going to make you look crazy. You gotta go in calm with evidence that this is going on. If you don't you look like you are throwing around accusations.

WTF STFU 3

If they are fine with stealing then tell them every time he steals from you that you will steel from them or they can cut out the middle man and feed his habit.

WTF STFU 3

If they are fine with stealing then tell them every time he steals from you that you will steal from them or they can cut out the middle man and feed his habit.

tease_ftx 8

sounds like you have peice of shit parents who enable his drug problem. ever thought they might be hittin the drugs with him?

Lobby_Bee 17

Now you know who is the favourite child.

If your parents are more worried about your tone than your brothers drug problem, then it's probably better for you if you move out asap.

dabrames 3

So cut them out of the loop. Tell your brother calmly, buti n no uncertain terms, that you will call the police the next time he steals from you, and that you will tell them exactly what he uses his ill-gotten gains for. He's 18, so hes' an adult. If your parents don't want to talk about it with you or him, then what else are you going to do? Also, you should not be living with any of these people if they don't respect you.

Your parents are enablers who are deflecting from the real issue in order to minimize the issue. No matter what "tone" you take, no matter what words/phrases you use, they aren't going to help. I've worked addiction for a decade. I've spent my whole life with a family of addicts (it's a generational thing). Now my teenage son is the next generation and he happily runs to my mother, who enables him. It's never fun having to call Child Protective Services (an agency you have spent years working with) on yourself in order to get your teen the help he needs because there aren't many resources in your state (really, there aren't). You are going to have to do what you can to separate yourself from your brother and parents. Move out. Make sure that you have a safe space to go to in order to protect yourself from your brother's addiction. Be very clear that you are leaving because of his addiction and your parents' choice to enable him. Check out local support groups for AA/NA family members (Ala-teen is a good place to start). Good luck.

Ireland3 20

I know how you feel. My brother use to steal my ADHD pills and sell them but if brought it up to my parents then I was apparently just trying to start a fight.