By atetoeate - 27/08/2010 06:49 - United States

Today, while trying to give an immunization to a "special" 13-year-old, I got spit on, kicked, almost bitten, and had a chair thrown at me. When it was all over, I flinched when the patient tried to hug me. Her mom called me a "b*tch" and I later found out she wasn't a "special" child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 334
You deserved it 3 812

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow, what a brat. After it was all over, you should have called security or something.

bebz_fml 0

yeah well they just piss me off

Comments

24 I'll agree to an extent but age isn't too relevant some people are afraid of needles regardless of age and yes it comes down to a lack of discipline...but you can't assume that the kid acted out just to do it or because op treated him like a child because of thinking he had a handicap, it's all perspective.

amazinggbaby 2

Age is relevent because at 13 you can control your actions and know what you're doing. Fear of needles is not a way to justify biting and throwing objects at someone. Bottom line, in my perspective the kid was wrong because he has full control of his actions and OP was kind to consider that the child could be special and going easy on him instead of assuming he's a brat.

first of all, fyl OP...the mother's clearly an idiot. anyone who thought this pediatrician did something wrong...i'd love to see why. if the child was 3 or 4 and this happened, that's one thing to call the doctor accusatory and wrong. however, the kid's 13. this kind of behavior is uncommon and unacceptable for someone of this age. therefore it makes perfect sense to think that the child has a disorder. ESPECIALLY since the mother did nothing to stop him or her from lashing out. if the mother had stepped in, then maybe we'd have a different argument. but when you piece it all together from this, how was the OP supposed to know? also, 25...it actually IS supposed to be "special." instead of "special". punctuation ALWAYS goes INSIDE quotation marks, look it up.

Uhh no it ISN'T meant to be "special." - "special" is the end of the sentence, therefore the quotation marks go BEFORE the full stop. DUH.

Schizomaniac 24

Everyone please calm down about the punctuation. It varies in different parts of the world. Damn.

If the whole sentence was a quotation then the punctuation would go inside the marks, as it's just one word, it goes outside in fitting with the rest of the sentence. Or so I've always known. Back on topic. OP, next time check the records first (assuming that's how you found out this kind wasn't special). That way you can ask the mother to intervene if the kid acts up. But that behaviour is unacceptable when the person doing it has complete control of their actions, especially at thirteen, by which time a kid should know whats unacceptable. Also, was it the mum who said the kid was special? Because if she did then she probably said it so no one could blame her for the kids bad behaviour.

Schizomaniac 24

Cinn, you're right according to your region of the world's grammar rules.

You freaking Grammar Nazis need to shut the **** up. Like holy shit.

Schizomaniac 24

Like holy shit, ZOMG YOU ARE SO RIGHT!Like, seriously. Like, like, oh my gosh, like. Like OMG!

RedPillSucks 31

Cinn, For immunizations, they may have gone to a clinic or "urgent care" which may not carry the patients records.

Schitzomaniac, I did say 'as far as I've always known', implying that it was what I'd been taught and not right everywhere, therefore it doesn't necessarily mean the OP is wrong for doing it a way someone else was taught. I'm not a grammar nazi, my grammar isn't good enough. :) RedPill - I can't say I know a lot about immunisation clinics, but when my friend got her jabs for holiday she had to go to the GP first and then somewhere else to get them, so I assumed that any notable points would have been forwarded to the nurse/dr doing the shots from the GP. I also assumed that the OP found out the kid wasn't "special" by looking at the medical records after the incident. I do think that if the kid had been "special" it would have been something worth the kids actual dr mentioning to any nurse/dr who treats the child, especially if it would cause the child to act in the way this one did.

Splayd 10

Your comma at the end of your quote should have gone on the inside. "As far as I've known," that's what I said. Semicolons, however, always go on the outside of quotations, like so: "As far as I've known"; that's what I said. Actually, the ONLY punctuation mark I am uncertain of in regard to where it is placed around quotations is the period. The rest are easy. I think I'll agree that the period should go on the inside, though.

Splayd, read post #42 and you'll understand why I put it the way I put it.

#34 and #42, inside quotations is the American English way of doing it. Y'all need to stop arguing, both are right. What is taught just depends on where you are.

lito27 0

**** that kid. ppl don't know how to control and punish their kids now days

She thought that kid was "special" but he was only just retarded.

You should have tasered him and then given him the shot calmly. At 13 years old he apparently doesn't have any rules in his life from his parents. If his mom has a problem taser her and give her a couple shots as well. Cause apparently she fails at mothering... If the kid gets up calmly and acts like a civilized human then it's all good. But if he starts it up again taser him again. Repeat until he understands there are somethings he isn't allowed to do. Continue with mother as well until she figures out that yelling at you is impolite and she should have controlled her child. Note: You might need some extra batteries on hand, cause sometimes you can't fix stupid.

i dont think thats legal... would be awesome if it was tho.

RedPillSucks 31

a round of shots for everyone!!!!

on a final note being a pediatrician you should have some idea of a patients medical history so I will assume there was nothing saying the kid was "special" so assuming that from the kid's behavior still makes op the worst pediatrician ever. making assumptions in the medical field is bad news and that is why malpractice insurance costs have gone up.

Kawaiichan42 3

I don't know how they do things where Op is from, but where I'm from, when you go to the doctor's office, it's the nurses giving the shots. Op never said she was a doctor, just that she's in pediatrics. I'm guessing she's a nurse, and for some reason didn't have access to the child's full medical records. Or, I could be wrong and Op's just an idiot who doesn't look at her patients' charts.

Besides, there are plenty of parents who are in full-out denial that their child isn't "normal." I've seen parents go to great lengths to deny their kid has what are obviously developmental disabilities, including doctor-hopping and pulling a child out of school to homeschool him because "there's nothing wrong with him; he's just misunderstood." Unless I'm mistaken about how detailed patient records are, such a case wouldn't have medical records about a disability since the parent either wouldn't have those records transferred or obtained at all.

Rapt0rJesus 0

40 - I suggest you get some sleep. Your brain is overheating.

sallen0046 4

First of all, why are you administering anything to a patient you don't have a complete medical history on? It's your own fault for assuming a badly behaved child is a special needs child. You should know better than to make assumptions, especially considering you work in the medical field.

Maybe the mum said the kid was special. Though I agree the OP should've checked the records first.

amazinggbaby 2

When you give someone a shot it's a bit irrelevent whether they are special or not. they check what your allergic to and I you've had that shot and if it's going affect any other shots you've recently had, ect. Going through a persons Complete medical history is a waste of time if it's just going to be a simple shot.

a simple shot? if the child really was special needs I know for a fact that they would handle it differently knowing that there is a chance that there could be some sort of complication op deserved it for not doing her job properly

Again, records can be incomplete or wrong.

RedPillSucks 31

And not all "minute clinics" have the full patient records. They rely on the parent filling out those forms for something like immunization. So it's entirely plausible that OP didn't have the patient records.

amazinggbaby 2

How differently would they have handled it if the child was special? strapped him down to a chair? No. They would have handled it how op handled it considering she thought he was special. The person who does my shots just asks a few questions an administers the shot, that's HER job. It's the actual doctors job to check records an what not. and no the person who does shots and my doctor are not the same person. op did not deserve it cuz she was doing her job.

amazinggbaby 2

Checking his records is actually irrelevent since we are talking about a kid acting out violently for no reason. Checking records wouldn't have prevented the kid from doing what he did.

54- So, according to you, OP deserved to get spit on, kicked and have a chair thrown at them? Nobody deserves that! This little 13 yr. old monster deserves to be locked in a cage.

mintcar 9

Should've smacked the bitch.