By seriously? - 22/12/2012 22:19 - United States - Spring

Today, while talking to my boyfriend, he got upset and accused me of making up words to make him feel stupid. All because I used the word "vapid." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 532
You deserved it 7 573

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

I fear the English Language is dying. As case in point, I used the word 'Crux' in a sentence before and I spent more time convincing the person I was speaking to that it wasn't made up. In the end I had to physically bring out a dictionary and show them the word. For those of you who don't know: The word means 'The basic, central or critical point or feature.' Vapid: 'Nothing stimulating or challenging.'

"Sweetie, I don't need to make up words to make you feel stupid. You already are stupid."

KingCeltic77 18
meggy2010 5

I can't be the only one that read this comment in Red's voice... Or can I?

KingCeltic77 18

No, everybody reads my comments in Red's voice.

I don't know that word either. Sounds made up.

CharresBarkrey 15

From your picture, you look like you can't be more than 13. So I guess it makes sense that your vocabulary is limited right now.

AnyaS 19

Time for cece to get a head start in studying for the SATs!

It's what a vampire has while dreaming... You know, vapid eye movement.

mehwhocares 9

You are the reason I read people's comments, thank you.

I'm a little astonished, surprised, stunned, dumbfounded, flabbergasted, startled, thunderstruck, and stupefied that so many people here don't know the word "vapid".

Anyone who reads a lot has probably come across "vapid" a number of times. I'm not saying that those people who don't recognize the word are stupid, nonreaders, just saying I've seen it many times in my boring life.

LuckBeNimble 19

true true. you'd think that with technology simplifying the consumption of information it'd be easy to come across/look up the word. O:

Thanks for the synonyms. I'm sure it was for the benefit of the illiterate masses (ie most of the people who posted a comment here). As a doc, are you not told to explain everything to patients as if you were speaking to an elementary school student? See above for the reason why you do so. Lol.

Grauncho 27

Im rattled that after all these comments no one has explained the word.

Ssshhhh, be vewy,vewy quiet... I'm wookin fo vapids!!!