By lifesuck - 19/09/2010 14:11 - United States

Today, while at a local river, I had been pulled underwater by a very fast and strong current. While fighting for my life, I had let go of my sandals so I could pull myself up. After explaining to my mom what had happened to me, her response was "YOU LOST YOUR SANDALS!?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 559
You deserved it 3 767

Same thing different taste

Comments

the cost of those sandals are comming out of your allowance! yeah your mom is messed up. can I hate your mom?

peacelovekat 0

ermm if they were that important y were u in the river with them and if they were 1000000000000 dollars I get it but still mean mom

Parents never seem to have their priorities straight when it comes to seeing which is more important: material possessions, or the health/well being of their child.

TheBestManEver 0

Well technically children are material possessions, for 18 years at the very least. Think of it this way: You have a barbie doll, bought it some awesome designer sandals from the store. Then you're walking down by the river, and barbie falls into the river. You pick her out of the water and notice her sandals are gone. Wouldn't you give her shit about losing her sandals?

!!!! Who told you I had a Barbie Doll? I told the boys to keep that a secret!!

TheBestManEver 0

Well I was trying to get on base with everyone in this thread, and I saw your post to make a good basis off of. I apologize for the confusion.

....I need to go hide for a while now, darling...

boatkicker 4

FYL, that must have been terrifying, and then for your mother to be more concerned with your shoes than the fact that you nearly drowned is awful.... but I'm a little curious as to why no one warned you. If it's a local river, than I'm sure you know other people who swim there. And currents that strong don't just appear out of nowhere. I can't imagine you're the first person to get caught in it, so I'm surprised no one warned you. If I'm wrong, and someone did warn you about the current in that area, than YDI.

When I was a kid we visited a friend's family. Their apartment had a pool so we all went swimming. I got tangled in a flotation device and it flipped me head down into the water, and I couldn't right myself. Every time I struggled to the top I got a mouthful of water and went down again. I was sure I was going to drown right there in a pool full of people; to this day it was the most scared I ever was in my whole life. I managed to escape and the first thing I did was look at my mom. She was looking right at me, then looked away real quick when she caught my eye. She'd been watching the whole time and hadn't lifted a finger to help me. I staggered out of the pool and demanded to know why she didn't help me and she screamed at me, "I saw you, you little shit. You weren't in any trouble!" The f*** I wasn't; I nearly drowned. I was about 6 years old but even then I figured it out. She figured if I drowned she'd make a pile of money suing the apartment complex with the added bonus of getting rid of the useless daughter she hadn't wanted (I was supposed to be a boy so she wouldn't have to be bothered trying again to "hit the jackpot"). Parents really don't have their priorities straight, although I guess in the end she was OK with me surviving. I was her house slave for years, cleaning and scrubbing and cooking and doing load after load of laundry while she watched TV and slept. She bawled like a baby when I moved out. Not because she cared about me, but because she lost her free maid.

TheBestManEver 0

Fuhohohoho.... I'm so sorry darling. There are so many parents in this world who see their children as the same way. Nothing more than baggage and potential house slaves. As much as people would love to deny it, it's very true, even if they have never personally experienced it.

mexicutioner123 0

That sucks. A friendly word of advice from someone who's learned the hard way: Find a way to let go. Get help if you need to. Resentment like that is awful for your emotional, mental, and especially physical health. Not saying "forgive and forget", but forgiveness is a good idea. As someone once told me, "Bitterness is like swallowing poison and expecting the other person to die."

TheBestManEver 0

I can see why the mother would be pissed OP. You lost a pair of goddamned sandles, your mother had to go through the trouble of going out and buying those, and you go and lose them in the damn river? I could see why she wouldn't care less about losing you; children are free. If she loses you, she can just waltz down the nearest adoption agency and replace you, FOR FREE (or wait 9 months after getting drunk at a Hard Rock cafe). Regardless, you should reimburse your mother and punish yourself for being a careless child.

boatkicker 4

Children are free? Funny, I always thought you had to feed children until they were legally adults, and generally 18 years worth of food costs more than a pair shoes. But what do I know. Maybe they have some new sort of children that don't require food, or anything else.

TheBestManEver 0

I meant the act of obtaining a child is free you malicious thundercunt.