By nickw177 - 22/10/2012 01:21 - United States

Today, my wife confused terminology from my religion with stuff from Harry Potter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 299
You deserved it 20 743

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ninjawatcher 2

Now I want to know what religion.

Do you solemnly swear that she's up to no good?

Comments

tsent8 15

And then dumbledore said by the power of raven claw! Let there be light!

I think it's really rude that people have voted YDI on this one; religion is important to some and you would expect your partner to understand and support that aspect of your life, even if they don't practise the same faith!

Well, there are always trolls clicking "YDI" for no reason. And there are lots of assholes on the internet, so you should just get used to it. On the other hand, I do agree with you. The atheists commenting on here saying "well they're both fake" are conceited self righteous assholes who think they're smarter than everyone and are too damn smug to realize that the vast majority of the world think they're the idiots, and that some of the greatest minds in the world have believed in God (even if they weren't religious) including Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawking. Although, to be fair, the people making such comments on here could be agnostic, but in my experience agnostics have more respect.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't describe all atheists that way. Most of them are respectful and humble people. I was just referring to the ones on here making those inflammatory comments about religion.

Yes, Alan, that's why I made the following comment. But people are also entitled to believe what they want, and while people are entitled to their opinions, I am also entitled to make judgments on their character based on their disrespect towards others and their beliefs.

That's why I don't go around telling people their religion is fake. I certainly wouldn't want someone to do that to me. I see your point, however, just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I can't call people out on their bullshit. The words I used may have been harsher than what a "good Christian" would use, however I never claimed to be perfect. I also think that that the non-religious must find it convenient that they can hold the religious people they criticize to a higher moral and civil standard than they hold for themselves. Must be nice to be able to provoke others to insult you by showing them no respect and then throw it back in their face as a betrayal to their faith. In any case, Jesus himself wasn't exactly known for being polite. I seem to recall an incident in which he called some highly esteemed Jewish leaders "a brood of snakes." And yeah, he was calling those guys out on their bull shit too. Not saying Jesus would condone what I said. I'm not that self righteous. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, Jesus wasn't necessarily always agreeable and polite. You don't get condemned to death by an angry mob by being polite.

I don't see where you're getting that, Alan. The only person I noticed who mentioned Scientology was doodlecloud and those who replied to her specifically. There are even those who explicitly claimed "all religions" are fake like Harry Potter without any reference to Scientology. I know you're an atheist, Alan, and I respect that you disagree, however those who believe in any religion, including myself, do not believe that it is strictly "man made" but divinely inspired, even if the rituals designed to honer their deity are man made. To tell them that their faith is nothing more than something a human being made up is as insulting as telling you that you're an atheist because you've been deceived by Satan.

"Holly emergency?" You mean a shortage in holly production? You mean that can happen? Holy shit, what ever will I use to deck the halls! Hurry up and wake him, Didi! We have to set our philosophical differences aside and work together to solve this crisis!

xxxviii 5

wait,, Terminology of religion? Does that mean she switched the words " god our lard and The high council" or something? Either way one is as real as the other ( sorry HP fans) and about the same amount of people wish they were both real.... Would make the world a more interesting place to see them out on a football field clubbing the sh*t out of each other tho,,lol..

*lord, although I like yours better.

obviousboy 8

Eh, Harry potter has had a more positive influence on the world then religion. I'd say its a trade up.

bignardz101 14

Well they are both fiction so…